Solved: Weird weird problem with Alcohol 120% - ACCESS DENIED

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Satsumomo

I am completely perplexed with this.

Ok so I have the installation file for Alcohol 120% v1965529 on a DVD, so when I try copy pasting it to my E:\ drive I get an Access Denied - Make sure the file is not in use or write protected error.

However, I can copy it with no problem to my C:\ drive. Once I do that, if I try to run the installation, I get the "Windows cannot find the specified path, device or file. Make sure you have the appropriate permissions to access the item." error.

Trying to copy it from C:\ to E:\ gives me the access denied error again, and I've already removed all atributes, like read-only. What the hell is going on here? I'm system administrator, and in the 4+ years I've been using WinXP, I have never seen this problem! The file isn't corrupt, it works on other computers.

Right clicking on it, the context menu takes a good 6 seconds to show up.

Satsumomo

Nope, no updates to my Windows Xp, and only recently installed items have been games.

Satsumomo

I use AVG Free, I'll disable it and try running the program.

EDIT: Nope, still cannot run it.

Satsumomo

Hey there, well I read both threads (And the links inside them too) and well firstly, I have system restore disabled, so I don't have any return points at the moment.

Trying to run the exe from the command prompt gives me "Access Denied" immediately.

It's weird that right clicking on the exe takes a good 10 seconds for the context menu to show up.

EDIT: I don't have system restore disabled, my bad. However I DO have updates disabled, so none have gone through which could have caused this. But here's something that might be interesting:

I installed Gears of War for the PC, and it comes with so many strange updates, including one for the Windows Installer and I also updated my CPU's drivers.

Satsumomo

WHOAH!

Magically, AVG finally decided to kick in and told me the file is infected with "Trojan Horse Sheur" is in the file. Weird, I had already tried running this file yesterday, and only until now AVG warned me.

The DVD is burned, a friend gave it to me, I guess he's clueless about the trojan, funny thing is he runs Avast antivirus because "It's safer than AVG" and well, he's running the program.

Satsumomo

Yeah, it's a DVD full of programs, freeware, shareware and probably full versions. I just downloaded the trial version.

I was more concerned with the weird behavior of my computer than being able to use Alcohol or not, so in the end we now know what happened. Thanks!

You're welcome.

Firearm deer season opens here when the sun comes up--I know a few guys who'd like to use that infected DVD for something more productive.............PULL!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online