1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Weird Win 2000 Installation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kcs, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kcs

kcs Thread Starter

I tried installing Windows 2000SP2 on an ABIT KA7-100 with a AMD Athlon 800, 1G Ram and every time it gets to detecting hardware it stops . I have an ATI All-in Wonder 128 16meg PCI Card, a D-Link DFE538TX PCI Network Card and a Soundblaster Live PCI Soundcard. When I remove any one of them the computer will continue the install and be fine, but if I put any one back in, it will stall again just before the windows load screen. I have tried installing it as a standard PC non(ACPI) and i still could not get it to work. If I put in another PCI card and remove either the soundblaster or the videocard it would work, which means that all the PCI slots on the mobo works. I already tried switching the locations of the cards in the PCI slots.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi kcs, welcome to TSG.

It sounds as if one of them are trying to use the same IRQ. Can you get into windows by pulling one of them out to see if you have an available IRQ? I'm not too sure whether that is as important in Windows 2000 or not........

3. kcs

kcs Thread Starter

IRQ's can't be changed in win2k.

4. Rockn

Rockn

If you disable ACPI in the computer's BIOS before installing Win2k you can assign IRQ's. Win2k can share IRQ's quite nicely and shouldn't be causing the errors.

5. kcs

kcs Thread Starter

Thanks for you help guys but I already disabled acpi in the bios and installed win2k as a standard pc, but this caused more problems than I had before. I was still not able to change IRQ's readily for some reason. I appreciate all help that has been given so far. I did quite a bit of research and tried the advice but to no avail.:(

6. kcs

kcs Thread Starter

I replaced the network card with an older version of the same type of card from an old computer and the problem was fixed. D-Link 538tx - D-Link 530..

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice