1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Westell 6100 and 2wire 2701HG-B together?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by leejoseph0, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leejoseph0

leejoseph0 Thread Starter

Hi. Rookie Lee here.

I found these Tech Support Guy Forums after doing some searching and landing here:
    http://forums.techguy.org/networking/900853-solved-wireless-router-problem-2.html

After reading that thread, I had thought I could connect the 6100 and the 2701HG-B together and have the 2701HG-B's LAN ports and WiFi working. But after several hours on my own and a few more on the phone with some Support Techs at AT&T, I have ultimately been told there is no way to do that since the 2701HG-B architecture can only receive the DSL signal via what ggombar has posted at the end of the other thread:

=========================
    Broadbank Link > Advance Settings Page
    DSL Line Selection:Automatic (or inner/outer pair)
    =========================

According to one of the Techs at AT&T, the internals of the 2701HG-B must find the DSL signal at its incoming phone port and cannot be made to get it from any of the LAN ports.

Is that true? In the other thread, ggombar ended up setting the 6100 aside and just using the 2701HG-B, and maybe that is because what he had first tried and I would like to do actually are imposible?

My own goal here is to use either a 6100 or a 6200 Westell with a separate router, and this is certainly not my only option.

Many thanks!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I dont know that model - so they may be correct

to connect the way you describe you need to follow the info below

i have setup quite a few different routers like this - But this maybe the one exception

i need to look up some manuals

but here the basic method
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together
    From a John Will Post :)

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Connecting_two_SOHO_broadband_routers_together

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. leejoseph0

I think the problem here is that the 2701HG-B is a modem/router combo. Its modem can be bypassed and it can be used as a LAN router, but there seems to be no way for its WiFi to get a signal from any port other than the phone jack. As a retired industrial mechanic who can find all kinds of ways to make all things work in whatever ways, logic suggests a simple LAN-to-Phone (6100 to 2701HG-B) patch cord here...but I suspect that effort would be fruitless!

Many thanks.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so the 2701HG-B's should just be setup as a modem/router and you use the wireless and the LANs just like a normal one router setup
    once thats working - then you can connect the 2nd router Westell 6100 can then be connected and reconfigured

is that how you want setup ?

<telephone> ====> telephone socket on router ==> < 2701HG-B's> ==> PCs and wireless - normal connection

Then to connect the 2nd router

<telephone> ====> telephone socket on router ==> < 2701HG-B's> ==> LAN Connection 2701HG-B' to the LAN connection on the Westell 6100 ==> <Westell 6100> reconfigure the IP address and disable the LAN - the PC and wireless should be available from both routers

thats how i have a setup here - with both wireless working

if thats not what you want - can you explain a little more

5. leejoseph0

Yes, that is what the 2701HG-B is designed to do.

The Westell 6100 is a single-user modem/router combo with no WiFi, and my goal is to use it (or the newer 6200 the UPS driver just delivered a few minutes ago) as a "dumb modem" in bridge mode to feed a separate LAN/WiFi router. I have already experiemented with putting the 6100 in bridge mode and then also doing this:

"...disable the Private side, the DHCP server...remove the topmost checkmark (Private LAN DHCP Server enable), click apply or save settings."
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600
    (note: I have the Westell 6100 that uses the red and black Verizon firmware)

At that point, I had LAN access to the Dashboard of each device, but I could not get the 2701HG-B to give me an internet connection (and I know virtually nothing about addressing and/or DHCP).

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    modem connected to what - another telephone line - you can not connect the modem to the 2701HG-B's

you can connect up as i suggested as a switch and connect a third router to that -

not sure why you want the Westell 6100 - why not just connect the 3rd router to the 2701HG-B's

clearly , I'm misunderstanding what you are hoping to achieve by doing all this

7. leejoseph0

I am trying to be careful with my descriptions here since I do not always know how to use all the right terms correctly!

This all began with my reading something about it being better to use a modem to feed a router rather than using a modem/router combo. So, I wish to use the 6100 as nothing more than a connection to feed a router...

Phone Line > 6100 > LAN/WiFi Router > Computers

The problem I encountered, however, is that the 2701HG-B cannot be fed that way. It can only gets its internet connection directly from a phone line...and that is where my shade-tree idea of a LAN-to-PhoneJack came into play:

Phone Line > 6100 > LAN-to-Phone Patch Cable > Phone Port on 2701HG-B > Computers

And of course, I doubt that can actually be done.

So, and unless you know some kind of magic there, I will likely be using the Westell 6200 I just received to feed the Linksys E2500 LAN/WiFi Router I purchased last night. At that point, I will have what I set out to do:

Phone Line > 6200 > LAN/WiFi Router > Computers

But if there is any way to do that with the 6100 and the 2701HG-B, I would do it just to prove it can be done and to have it at the side as a DSL-connection backup.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i dont know about that - someone else will need to reply to support that statement

as the 2701HG-B has a modem built , then its not going to receive a modem signal - it should receive a router signal and be used as a switch - but thats not what you want to do

Phone Line > 6200 set up as a normal router with DHCP enabled > 2701HG-B - connected from LAN on 6200 to LAN on 2701HG-B and DHCP turned off and IP address set to 6200 but outside dhcp range > Computers

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    with the Linksys E2500
    you can setup either of the 6100 or the 2701HG-B in bridge mode and connect to the Linksys E2500 internet socket

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The only real difference that I see as a interent support tech is that a modem/router combination does not have the expanded functionality that a standalone router does. Usage wise there's no difference.

11. leejoseph0

I thank you for that insight, James. I might have pulled someone's statement out of context and drawn an unnecessary conclusion.

Going back even farther than what I have already mentioned, some of concerns began when I added an Ooma VOIP device about three years ago. I had Verizon's slowest DSL connection at that time, and I thought it would be good to try to give the Ooma a bit of priority by connecting it directly to the modem/router combo, then also connecting a secondary LAN router to the combo unit for connecting computers...and that ultimately led to a wrong conclusion (just two weeks ago) that my trusty old Kingston LAN router had gone bad when my Westell 7550 began occasionally dropping my WiFi. But then last night, one of the Techs at AT&T explained things much the same as you have just said, so I am now just connecting all LAN computers and the Ooma at one row of ports.

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    (y) Glad to have helped.

Some companies will get you to put their device inbetween the modem and router, ie Vonage and Ooma. Even cell phone carriers that send you a microtower to boost your cell signal for your home do this... problem is though you have another point of failure and the internet company wont normally touch that and you will have to call the phone company.

As a side note, Ooma uses more upload bandwidth than your cable company that has a VoIP service. If your upload speed is low to being with you may find voice quality issues and internet speed issues.

13. leejoseph0

I thank you...and I apologize just a bit for running on here, but I will get back to something more important in a few days after my Linksys arrives.

Yes, Ooma tried to get me to do that, but it made absolutely no sense to me that a phone device should be bothered with handling all other traffic also, and even though I did understand its getting first shot at whatever it would get from being first-in-line.

The first Ooma I had did well even with Verizon's slowest DSL back then, but then something happened (and I do not now remember what) that resulted in that first Ooma being replaced...and then when its replacement immediately did horribly, the Ooma folks tried to convince me the problem was my slow connection! I persisted, however, and eventually got that replaced with the one I have now had for nearly three years. Overall, the service and quality are fine, but yes, it takes my system 30 minutes to do an FTP upload of a 60-minute mp3 file.

14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well I guess it's to make sure your VoIP traffic doesn't get hindered... but that's whats routers are for :) to configure. :D

15. leejoseph0

Ah, you just jogged my memory a bit. Prior to my own Ooma days, I believe there was a time when all "Scouts" everwhere were inter-dependent, like in some kind of torrent system...and that would explain "Ooma first".

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice