Solved: Western digital 160GB FW drive not fully recognized

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

docfluir

I just bought a western digital 160GB hard drive to replace the one in my firewire case. The drive works fine but is only recognized as being 137GB.
I'm not sure why it is not seeing all of the drive.
Anyone have any ideas.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
BIOS has nothing to do with it. It is FireWire and the capacity is limited by the version of the OS. What version of Windows and service pack are you running?

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
How did you create the partition on it?? Or have you not yet done so and that is what is being reported as the raw disk capaicty.
What software is reporting this size?

docfluir

No I do not. Is that a program for partitioning the Hard drive or a diagnostic utiliy?
The only thing I have for hard drive utilities is killdisk.exe. A program for cleaning the hard drive off completely. It does this by writing zeros over all of the existing info.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
It is for partitioning, and is extremely useful.
How old and what make is the firewire enclosure? I have heard that some older ones DO have a limit of 137Gb (the controller chip in the enclosure)

docfluir

The drive case is a Maxtor 500dv. The Maxtor drive that was in it went out on me at the end of last year. I thought that I would utilize the case since it was still in perfect condition. I believe I bought the origonal Maxtor setup in 2003.

docfluir

It said on the link you sent there were paches for windows. From Maxtor? or Microsoft?? The case has the ability to be used as a USB2.0. Would that change anything. The reason I'm using the firewire instead is due to the limited number of USB2.0 ports on my machine.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
No using USB will not make any difference, but by all means just try it to see!
I think it was Maxtor for the patch.

I'm going to bed, it is 1 am here.

docfluir

Thank you very much for your help I think I can get it from here. Sorry to keep you up so late.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts