Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: western digital black 250GB vs. western digital enterprise 250GB

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
Hi, I want to buy a new hard drive for my desktop PC, and I was wondering if the western digital black 250GB hard drive or western digital enterprise 250GB hard drive would work better for such a PC. Both of the HDDs I mentioned are SATA, in case you're wondering.

#3 ·
If you can provide the complete model number of both Western Digital hard drives, we should be able to compare their benchmark scores.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the reason for wanting to buy a new hard drive?

Does your computer currently have an IDE or SATA hard drive?

---------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
True, but in the reviews I noticed that some people mentioned that they had a Western Digital black hard drive installed in their desktop PC, and it was also mentioned in comments about one or more of the reviews that an enterprise hard drive would be just as reliable as a desktop hard drive. I've also heard that enterprise hard drives spend less time trying to correct errors on the hard drive, so I'm not sure if that matters considering the fact that the Western Digital enterprise hard drive would be installed in a desktop PC.

#5 ·
Hi, the model number for the WD Black 250 GB hard drive is WD2500BEKT ,the model number for the WD Enterprise hard drive is WD2503ABYX .The reason why I want to buy a new hard drive is because my current hard drive appears to be failing, it's been clicking fairly often lately. Unless there's a way I could repair my hard drive myself for free and without much effort, or a paid repair service that would costs less then the new hard drive, and it doesn't seem that either of those things would be the case, buying a new hard drive appears to be the best option. I've heard of placing the hard drive in a plastic bag and then placing it in the freezer, but I have some doubts about that being a good idea or even if it's effective. I've also heard of tightening the screws on the hard drive, but none of the screws looked like they were loose. Oh, and my computer currently has a 250 GB SATA hard drive.

#6 ·
I want to buy a new hard drive for my desktop PC, and I was wondering if the western digital black 250GB hard drive or western digital enterprise 250GB hard drive would work better for such a PC.
the model number for the WD Black 250 GB hard drive is WD2500BEKT ,the model number for the WD Enterprise hard drive is WD2503ABYX
The Western Digital Scorpio Black WD2500BEKT has a disk rating of 537 and has these specs:

16 MB cache 7200 RPM 3.0 Gb/s

The Western Digital Enterprise WD2503ABYX has a disk rating of 760 and has these specs:

64 MB cache 7200 RPM 3.0 Gb/s

Are you aware the WD2500BEKT is a 2.5" model for laptops/notebooks and the WD2503ABYX is a 3.5" model for desktops?

----------------------------------------------------------

#7 ·
I didn't know that the Scorpio Black HDD was for laptops/notebooks, but I knew that the Enterprise HDD was for servers and could also be used in desktops. I didn't find any info at all about the Scorpio Black HDD being for laptops/notebooks, but I did find other info about it on the item page, which is odd.

#8 ·
When you're researching and buying a hard drive on-line, be careful and make sure it's the correct hard drive for the computer.

Laptop hard drives are generally 2.5".

Desktop hard drives are generally 3.5".

Older hard drives mostly have a ribbon-type IDE connection.

Newer hard drives mostly have a cable-type SATA connection.

---------------------------------------------------------

#9 ·
Good point, no point in buying something that you wouldn't be able to use. I checked and found out that my hard drive is a SATA hard drive. It's a Hitachi Deskstar hard drive, and it seems that all of those hard drives are 3.5", so I think anyway that I would need a 3.5" hard drive to replace it . Also, I'm not sure if this matters or not, but I've heard that enterprise hard drives spend less time correcting errors, so I'm not sure if the WD Enterprise hard drive would work well for a home PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.