1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What am I doing wrong???

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chuckee, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chuckee

chuckee Thread Starter

Hi
    I have a cable and wireless 11g adsl2 router, to which i connect my laptop, wirelessly,I don't know if thats a word, sorry. I have and still are having no problems with this set up. But today i tried setting my sons comp, upstairs, to be part of the network. I installed the wireless usb network adapter, this time a belkin, the adapter reports that it is working fine with an excellent signal strength. But the problem is that i cannot open any web sites, I use firefox 2 on both the laptop and my sons desktop. Any ideas as to what my problems might be, I might be doing something glaringly obvious to one of you guy's, or gal's, if so call me an idiot but please help, i am getting serious earache of both my son and my wife cos he is also moaning to her.
    Thank you in advance, cheers.

2. chuckee

chuckee Thread Starter

maybe should have added that i have My wifi zone installed, to stop free loaders, there have be a few incidents around here lately of ppl parking around other ppls home and downloading 'questionable material' on other ppls wifi. Don't know if this would stop the connection, i have, supposedly given permission for the comp upstairs to access the wifi connection. hope this might help. thanx again

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Chuck>
    C:\Documents and Settings\Chuck>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Chuck
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adap
    ter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-D0-5A-94-CD
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.70
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 20 January 2007 20:37:13
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 23 January 2007 20:37:13

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Cable & Wireless 802.11g Series Wire
    less LAN PC Card
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-2E-62-64-07
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.71
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 20 January 2007 20:15:55
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 23 January 2007 20:15:55

C:\Documents and Settings\Chuck>

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What encryption settings are you using? If you're using WEP, you need to use ONLY the hex key option, since the passcode option frequently is interpreted differently by other brands of equipment. I'd turn off encrypiton and see if you can connect, then turn it back on.

The IPCONFIG you posted appears to have a normal connection, is this your machine or the upstairs machine?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You seem to have both ethernet and wireless connections in that ipconfig /all. Can that "My wifi zone" block your ethernet as well as wireless? Not knowing what that thing does I'd uninstall it, disable the ethernet connection while you are trying to get the wireless working, and then when you get a successful connection enable encryption (preferably WPA or WPA2) and not mess around with some strange utility.

On this computer could you access the internet via the ethernet connection before installing My wifi zone?

5. chuckee

chuckee Thread Starter

sorry i am new to this wireless lark and i just saw a prog in a comp mag, my wifi zone, and used it. where would i find the encryption settings. my wifi zone is on my laptop downstairs

where would i find wpa or wpa2, i had my wifi zone just on my laptop downstairs

excuse me if i do not reply to any future posts, my boy is in bed asleep so i won't be able to try anything till morning. thanx for both your suggestions i will try them in hope, cheers

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Encryption settings are in the wireless section of your router.

Next post please remember to answer JohnWill's last question. I had assumed the problem PC, but would just as soon be steered in the right direction. :)

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If "my wifi zone" is on your laptop and is supposed to keep other computers off your wireless network wouldn't it keep your upstairs computer off the network?

Magazines are always publishing articles about neat utilities and really great tweaks to make Windows 0.001% faster. My experience has been that some of those can be useful to me but only when I really understand what it is doing and have an actual use for it. Every one I've tried just because it sounded "neat" I've eventually had problems with or grown disillusioned.

8. chuckee

chuckee Thread Starter

my apologies, i thought i had replied to both you and john's advice in my last message, i have uninstalled, my wifi zone, but when i tried again on the upstairs comp this morning i noticed it was telling me it had found updates for my computer so i presumed it was able to access the internet through the wifi connection. but i still couldn't get firefox to open any web pages. so messing with the tools option i went to advanced options connection settings. on my comp downstairs this is set on, direct connection to internet, so i presumed this should be the case for the upstairs comp. when this didn't work i played about until i found that manual proxy configuration enabled firefox to connect to sites, socksv5 is highlighted and it say "no proxy for local host 127.0.0.1". are these settings ok, i dont want to be able to connect to the web, but leave my self open to any unwanted visitors. i also notice that encryption is disabled but i cannot find a way of enabling it. i know tery said they were in the wireless section of my router, but i cannot find them at all. cheers

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you give us a link to your router's User Guide? Or the brand and model?

If you are getting the internet access desired on the upstairs PC, the settings are good. :)

Unless you do port forwarding or use the DMZ your router will protect you from unwanted visitors from the internet. Encryption, when we figure it out, will protect you from unwanted wireless visitors.

Are you able to access your router at 192.168.16.1 by browser? Able to login? If you get this far, what are the choices you see?

10. chuckee

chuckee Thread Starter

router brand, cable and wireless
    model adslr10w3xi
    as accessing the router at 192.168.16.1, i am asked for user and pass, i entered these at setup as pre instructed by c and w, i was encouraged to change the password which i did but it wont let me login with the password i changed it to. i know i am right cos my wife wrote it down as i typed it.

there is one more problem occurred, i presume to do with the above problems, i cannot access my printer, i get a message saying no printers are installed but i cannot reinstall it, i keep getting an error message saying the installation couldn't be completed! any ideas

cheers

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I couldn't find that model, but if you don't have the password I guess it doesn't matter at this time. Unless you can figure out the password (maybe a problem with case; zero instead of the letter O or vice versa; etc.) the only way to get into the router is by resetting it to factory defaults. Hopefully you also made note of any important router settings.

Don't see how the printer problem is related unless it is a network ready printer. What's the printer brand and model? Anything showing in Printers and Faxes? Is this an installation where you just plug in the printer and Windows has the right driver, or do you run a program from a CD first? Have you checked for updates for the printer?

12. chuckee

chuckee Thread Starter

printer ok now, just switched on my comp tonite and everything was ok, touch wood. i would like to thank both you and john for pointing me in the right direction. at the moment we have no problems with the wifi network and accessing the web, which was my main concern.

many thanx again and cheers

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice