1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DCM1519, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

I have been trying for a couple of months to enable file access between my desktop and laptop.

Both computers are running Windows 7 Professional (32 bit on desktop, 64 bit on laptop). The router is a Motorola 6580 and I have enabled file sharing on both computers and printer sharing too.

The Motorola router automatically set up networking on both computers and I enabled file sharing and printer sharing by myself.

After encountering this, I tried to set up "Homegroups" networking to get around it but cannot even set up a network there. I keeps saying that I must enable IVp6 before I can go on. Every place that I have checked on my computer says that it is enabled so I finally just gave up on that process.

When I use Windows Explorer and go to the networking icon, I can see both computers and all the folders available on the computer that I am using at the time.

The problem is that when I try to access the other computer this way, a windows immediately pops up asking for a password for the computer that I am attempting to access. I have tried every password that I have ever used and turned off the passwords to each computer and nothing I try lets me access the other computers files without that unknown password.

I did not have an opportunity to set a password on either network so I just do not understand what password this thing wants in order to let me access the other computer.

Am I missing some step in this process or doing something wrong in the way that I try to establish file access between computers?

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The password is for a user account on the remote machine that owns the folder or has permission to access it. You could try "Turn off password protected sharing."

3. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

TerryNet

Thanks for the reply. It worked perfectly after I finally found the setting in the control panel. Sure wish I had asked a few months ago.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice