1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What are add-ons and do I need them?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cactusgal, Nov 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cactusgal

cactusgal Thread Starter

Firefox just updated and wants me to install the latest Adobe Flash Player, which I did a few days ago. This one gives instructions about different screens asking to allow some add-ons. I have no idea what they are. Do I need them or can I just keep using the updated Firefox like I've been doing?

I've read that add-ons can cause problems but don't have a clue about them. Thanks for your help.

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

3. Lance1

Lance1

Add-Ons are little app's that run within Firefox. Click Tools \ Add-Ons and select the Add-one tab at the top to see just a few of them, and click Browse all Add-Ons to go to the web site to see them all.

4. TOGG

TOGG

Firefox isn't my default browser (Opera is), so I don't use FF very much, but I think the NoScript addon is a very useful addition to online security and I use the IETab addon to collect Windows Updates via Firefox. The only 'problem' with addons that I am aware of is that they can stop working when FF itself is upgraded. That hasn't happened to me, so far!

5. cactusgal

cactusgal Thread Starter

Sorry to be so dense - but let me see if I've got this straight. Firefox needs add-ons for some sites and you get the add-ons via Adobe Flash Player. Is that right?

6. 1002richards

I think I'm right in saying:-
    Adobe comes as an add on; you don't need Adobe to get other add ons though. You can pick & choose other add ons as you want.
    Some sites/graphics need Adobe Flash to display correctly.

7. cactusgal

cactusgal Thread Starter

Lance - that was helpful. I only have five things in there that I don't need or want.

8. cactusgal

cactusgal Thread Starter

To everybody who replied - thanks. I'm guessing I can safely install Adobe Flash Player (as I did) without the add-ons.

9. 1002richards

You're welcome!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/875216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice