1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What are ntuser.dat.log files?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kjjb0204, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Thread Starter

There are two files in my c:documents and settings folder called ntuser.dat.log1 and ntuser.dat.log2. Everything else in that folder is the normal stuff I want to see - - pictures folder, video folder, music folder, etc. What are these two ntuser files and can I move, delete or hide them?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

They are logs of changes that have been made to the user registry hives (ntuser.dat). They are usually hidden files, but you should keep them.

3. davehc

davehc Trusted Advisor

You should not even be able access the Documents and settings files, unless you have manually altered the security on the foldr. Under default, the folder is even invisible. To enter that folder and change anything could be damaging to your personal files.

4. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Thread Starter

Actually, I don't think it's in the docs and settings. In vista, when I click on the start button, then in the right hand side of the start window, the top choice is my user name. I click on that and that's where these files are... I right click on those files and properties say hidden, but they aren't.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

C:Users\<username> and C:\Documents and Settings\<username> are linked symbolically in Vista and lead you to the same place.

If the file attributes say they are hidden and you can see them, then hidden files and folders must have been made visible in Control Panel > Folder Options. Re-hide them there.

6. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Thread Starter

Knew it was something simple. Fixed. Thanks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/695741