1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What are these weird files on my drive?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sief9, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sief9

Sief9 Thread Starter

On my C Drive there's all these weird folders with just random names. Is it OK to delete them?

Picture:
    [​IMG]

----------------------------------------

Also I just noticed now, there's a file on my C Drive titled "pagefile.sys" I saw it on WinRAR (It doesn't show on explorer) It's taking up about 2GB.

What is it? Can I delete it? And if I can, how can I delete it?

Picture:
    [​IMG]

----------------------------------------

Computer Specs:

* System:

• Microsoft Windows XP
    • Professional
    • Version 2002
    • Service Pack 3
    * Computer:

• Intel(R)
    • Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    • 2.79 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

They're left-overs from various Windows Updates. It's usually safe to delete them.

3. Sief9

Sief9 Thread Starter

Oh alright, but what happens if anything goes wrong? But what's the worst that can happen if I delete them?

And also I just edited my topic, can you take a look at my problem there?

4. valis

valis Moderator

pagefile.sys is your swap drive. You can mange the size of that if you wish, but I woudn't recommend deleting it.

5. Sief9

Sief9 Thread Starter

Swap drive? Umm, okay whatever that is. :confused: And alright I'll just leave it there.

6. valis

valis Moderator

it's your pagefile, swap file, whatever you wish to call it. When ram is full, the OS allocates x amount of space on the hd to write to; that's what it's there for.

page file.

You can change the settings manually, but it's generally easier to just let the system manage it. Technically, it's supposed to be ~ 1.5 times your ram size, or in that vicinity.

7. Sief9

Sief9 Thread Starter

Oh I think I understand, so basically it's 2GB cause I have 2GB of RAM, correct?

So I just read the wiki article, I'm kind of understanding it. :p But for now I guess I'll just let windows handle it. Thanks for the help!

8. valis

valis Moderator

de nada. sorta what we're here for....:)

9. Sief9

Sief9 Thread Starter

:) well I think that sums up my problem, those files are leftover from Windows Update, and the weird 2GB file I shouldn't touch. :D Thanks everyone!

10. valis

valis Moderator

glad to help. What was the end you were hoping to achieve? Cleaning up disk space? There's a good little app called ATF (All Temp Files) that you can d/l at majorgeeks.com that will get rid of all the kludge windows leaves laying around. If you do a lot of work in word or adobe this program is essential; if you don't, it's still nice to clean up a a gig or so monthly.

11. Sief9

Sief9 Thread Starter

Yeah that's exactly what I was trying to achieve. :p I lost like 15GB after formatting my windows, so I was wondering where it all went. (I formatted last week).

And I haven't gotten around to it, but I need to install 4 different adobe programs that I use (Photoshop, flash, aftereffects and dreamweaver) so I'll look up that app, if I can find it on the site. :confused: There's like 100 different programs on that site.

12. valis

valis Moderator

here ya go....:)

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
    This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only

• Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
      Under Main choose: Select All
      Click the Empty Selected button.
    If you use Firefox browser
    • Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
      NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
    If you use Opera browser
    • Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
      NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
    Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
    For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

13. Sief9

Sief9 Thread Starter

Alright I got it, thanks! It's a small program that doesn't require like, installing it and stuff (I hate it when I have to install something fully with the wizard and such, and it's only a 1MB file).

It cleared up 100MB! Yay! (I already do the temp cleaning manually. :p)

Thanks a lot!

14. valis

valis Moderator

de nada....there's a zillion files out there for stuff like that...:)

just beware; NEVER use a registry cleaner. Never. It's not worth the hassle, and the registry doesn't take up that much space anyhow.

How did you lose 15 gigs after reinstalling?

15. Sief9

Sief9 Thread Starter

I've always been using registry cleaner, there's a registry cleaner on BitDefender that I've been using for the past week.

And how did I loose 15GB? That's what I should be asking! :p Me and my brother always save our music/videos on the D Drive we have. And 5GB went to Windows, 2 to Program Files, and 5 to Document and Settings.

The other 3GB are just scattered around in the other folders. I formatted the computer, basically to clean it up from a couple viruses and mess ups on it. So I brought all the files I needed back on. It's not like I started from scratch again. ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755397

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice