1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What can I do with my old computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sn0wBoArD3r3, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sn0wBoArD3r3

Sn0wBoArD3r3 Thread Starter

My parents bought my sibling a computer 2-3 years ago and my siblings no longer uses the computer. Now, I want to try to get the most out of that computer by buying more RAM, better video card, and maybe a better processor. However, I've been searching everywhere I can think of to find the motherboard brand and what it can support... but I can't seem to find the brand... Can anyone help me out?

P.S. If I am able to find the brand of the motherboard, what would anyone suggest for me to buy for the computer?

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Go here and download CPU-Z...

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

This will tell you the CPU, board and RAM specs. Post those back and we'll see if you have some options.

Also include what you intend to use the PC for--gaming, net surfer, etc... and a budget if you have one.

3. Sn0wBoArD3r3

At this moment, the computer has no video card at all so I can't hook it up to a monitor... Also, the harddrive crashed a while ago. So is there another option?

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

Is it a branded system? Gateway, HP, Compaq, etc...?

5. Sn0wBoArD3r3

It is not a brand system. My parents bought it from a regular computer store.. however, they closed down recently so I couldn't find any information from them.

6. telegramsam

telegramsam

Hm--I suppose the best place to start right now is by looking at the processor.

Remove the heat sink and fan, wipe off the thermal paste, and look over the processor for identifying numbers.

That will give us a starting point. See if you can find at least a brand name for the board while you're in there.

7. stranglehold

stranglehold

Another quick check is to look at the slots and see if there is an AGP slot for video and what other slots are available. I would say if it has any ISA slots or no AGP, it is probably not worth buying parts to fix it up.

8. griffinspc

griffinspc

Also, look closely at the mobo itself. Most manufacturers print the board ID right on it. Most on top where you can see it. Some of the older cheaper generics printed it on the bottom. Dummies. Look between the slots or by the CPU. It could be something like MB8500TVX-A or it could say ASUS K7VE. You can't use the BIOS identifier with no monitor so this might be your best shot.

9. Sn0wBoArD3r3

1. I don't know how to remove a heat sink

2. I've been trying to find the mobo brand for a long time.. just don't know how.

3. What is an ISA slot?

sorry for all these questions.. im really bad at hardware =[

10. griffinspc

griffinspc

An ISA slot is so outdated as to be a dinosaur. They were the precursor to the PCI slot. They had a slower BUS width and different architecture that delivered slower transfer rates than PCI. You can tell them apart because the ISA slot is much longer and most times had a black edge rather than white. Length is the key though.

As far as removing the heatsink, yes you'll probably be able to identify the processor and that will tell us the socket type but I'm not sure that's going to be much help. You can't see any numbers at all on the motherboard?

11. Sn0wBoArD3r3

Sorry for the delayed response but I was trying to find some specs. of my computer from my parent's office and I found out that my motherboard is an AZZA P4XA-AV VIA motherboard.. is this something worth investing in? If so, what should I do?
    My Computer has the following:
    AZZA P4XA-AV VIA Motherboard
    Intel P4 1.6 GHz 512k CPU
    256MB PC2100 DDR (I'm planning on upgrading this if I can find a good RAMs card for a good price)
    Mitsumi 1.44 MB Floppy
    996KL P4 Mid Tower W/ 300 W
    Toshiba 16X DVD-ROM
    Cyberdrive 36x12x40 CDRW
    3D Fax Modem
    I do not really care to upgrade the Mitsumi 1.44 mb floppy, toshiba 16x DVD-ROM and Cyberdrive 36x12x40 CDRW. So far, I'm planning to upgrading the 256MB RAM by adding hopefully a 1 gb ram and I also on planning to get a new graphic card. I however do not know how to pick out the right RAM for my computer and I'm opening to any suggests for my RAM card, and for any other suggestions and/or recommendations for my computer.

12. griffinspc

griffinspc

Welcome back. Finding something out about that mobo was tricky, I think this is the right manual: http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Azza/manual/UM-P4X-E1(C).pdf

At any rate you can upgrade the RAM considerably but being a P4 CPU and with no hard drive (you said earlier that it failed) or graphics then I can't recommend you put more money into it. It's right on the edge of yes or no. If it was only a case of maybe getting a cheap AGP video card and bumping up the RAM then, maybe. But with a hard drive too, I'd say not. It seems to have USB1.1 rather than 2.0 too.

You can't really say for sure if everything else is OK since you have no hard drive or graphics.

Hope that helps.

13. Sn0wBoArD3r3

I am planning to use the harddrive on the computer I have right now and buy a new graphic card... and is there anyway I can upgrade the 1.1 to a 2.0?

14. escalader

escalader

You have, no support from store, HDD failed, so what will fail next?

If it were mine I would turn it into a boat anchor. :D

With the prices on new PC's now, you will be far happier and better supported where you live

15. replay

replay

yes u can buy a pci usb card 2.0 @ newegg for $8-10

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice