1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What could be causing this?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by tranch, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tranch

tranch Thread Starter

This started a couple weeks ago and I can't find out what's causing it.

My laptop has slowed, takes forever to load a page. It also will just stop loading a page, stop a video I'm viewing, the page will go blank, come back on then start to "flash" on and off. Videos will only run a few seconds, stop, load, run a few seconds, etc There is, on occasion, lag time from what I type to when it appears on the screen or it won't appear at all. I can see that the one light on the front of the laptop that shows it's "doing something" is constantly flashing and will go to a solid light, even if I'm doing nothing. Other times the cd/dvd player will start up then shut down with a few seconds. Something must be running in the background but I'll be darned if I can find it. I've run a Malwarebytes scan, SuperAntiSpyware scan Defender full scan and a CCleaner scan and none of them have found anything other than some tracking cookies. I've even gone to the Dell website and run their check program(s) and it says everything is running normal. How can I find whatever it is that's running using up all the memory or whatever it is using and get rid of it? :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. donetao

donetao Banned

Have you checked any of your hardware(HD, RAM) Have you ran a chkdsk or a sfc /scannow.
    Have you checked Task Manager to see what's using all your memory. Have you ran a memory test.
    Have you tried restoring to a earlier time when your PC was running well??Have you added any new programs. I know, lots of questions. Would also help to post make and model of your PC!!
    Thanks!!

3. tranch

tranch Thread Starter

Sorry donetao it's a Dell Inspiron 3721 early 2013 model. I should have put that in my original post.

I've not added any new programs to the machine. I've run each and every test that I could find at the Dell support site and everything says it's all good. I did not run a chkdsk, but I'll try that now.

4. donetao

donetao Banned

5. tranch

tranch Thread Starter

Sorry for the long time span of my reply. Out of town for awhile. I've decided this Win8 machine is just too much a pain in the...well you can guess where, for me to be tinkering with, even with the help of the people here. so I gave it to my grandson who always tells me he can fix anything I can mess up on my computer~ :eek: He is good with these machines and has repaired/rebuilt an old desktop I had for himself.

So for the time being I'll mark this Solved and hope it really will be! :D :D Thanks donetao for the help.

6. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi You are very welcome. Grandson's are cool. It's good that you have someone to help you.
    TSG is always here and ready to give it our best shot. I do not like W8.
    If we can help you in the future, you have our number.
    Good luck! I'm sure that grandson will-get-er-done.
    Gary!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice