Solved: What did I mess up? XP laptop won't boot anymore.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SweetChick

I took the hard drive out of my Panasonic CF-48 Toughbook but forgot to take it out of standby mode, now when I try to start it up I just get a black boot up screen that says "PXE-E61 : Media test failure, check cable"
I can however install another drive that I have Linux installed on and it works fine, so the cable is ok, and I can take the drive I get the error on and put it in a external USB case and I can read all the files with my XP desktop computer, so the drive is working. I really need to get this drive working because it's the only legal copy of XP I have for this computer and I only have a COA sticker and no install disk. below is a pic of the error, thanks for any help.

SweetChick

Thanks for the links, but I have the boot order right, and smacking it's bottom does no good either!!!

You can read files from the drive when it's slaved using an enclosure,but not boot to it...

First thing to do is back up what's on it---it might be a good investment to get a third-party application to clone the drive--Operating System and all if you don't have media to reinstall.

I suspect that the drive is on the way out. If another drive will spin up when installed, then cables and connectors are probably good.

I'm not sure of your level of comfort with doing the cloning, but I've used a program called BootIt NG to do a bit for bit 'slide' of the data from old drive to new...Microsoft actually recommended using their free trial version a few years back.

It's available here as a free thirty day trial from Terabyte Software, if you'd like to read up on it and start shopping laptop hard drives.

I really don't have anything else...

SweetChick

Well something was really messed up in the boot sector, I tried to use a XP disc and the repair function with no luck, so I tried to clone the old drive over to my Linux drive and that seems to have worked!!! Then I recloned that back to the original drive and it works now too, so I'm going to use it for a restore disk and keep it put away somewhere.

NIce. I would suspect the reliability of that drive, but it's good to have the data backed up twice now.

Christmas shopping at Newegg.com...for a new drive for yourself.

Silver lining in the grey cloud.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online