1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What do I need to set up a server?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by donex, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donex

donex Thread Starter

I am currently in a work group configuration with 5 computer terminals.

I have a MFC, multi fuction copier hooked up to the network too.

I am looking to set up a small server for file storage/sharing, centralised antivirus control, group policies, etc. My brother aren't as concerned as malware viruses as I. and they tend to deactivate the antivirus program as it slows down the computer. GEZZZ....

I plan to set up a server

I understand that they run a different OS eg. win server 2003.

there's something like raid 5 storage system. etc.

What do I need to set up a server?
    Can anyone provide a crash course? Haha. I wanted to try DIY on the server but parts are significantly expensive, so say the vendors. geezz

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You could use Windows XP or even Vista Home Premium as centralized file storage. I think a Windows Server OS would be overkill for what you are trying to do. For just a couple of computers like your environment, a workgroup setting is just fine.

If your brothers want to uninstall their Antivirus then tell them they can't be attached to the network to spread viruses.

3. donex

donex Thread Starter

Well, there are my brothers and I cant really kick them out of the network.

I have been using XP pro, 3.0 ghz, 2 gb ram, as a storage. Just last month i up the ram up to 4 gb because things are starting to get slow.

Last week, the speed became unbearable. I cannot use the strorage terminal to surf the web if another user in the network is accessing the shared folders. geezzzz.

If not server, how would you recommend I carry on from here?

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

So you would install a Server OS on your comptuer and still use it as your main desktop computer? That isn't going to help speed things up anymore. The purpose of a server or any other centralized storage hardware is to do file serving. It shouldn't be your main desktop to do your daily computing. If you have a free computer you can use that with Windows XP or Vista as the centralized file storage.

5. donex

donex Thread Starter

So you would install a Server OS on your comptuer and still use it as your main desktop computer? That isn't going to help speed things up anymore. The purpose of a server or any other centralized storage hardware is to do file serving. It shouldn't be your main desktop to do your daily computing. If you have a free computer you can use that with Windows XP or Vista as the centralized file storage.

Firstly, thanks Squashman. (=

1. Back to the server issue. My main problem is actually i have a program, a many user LAN office automation software which basically stores date in .dat and .cab files. What i did when things start to turn slow is that i upgrade/diy a new computer terminal for myself for brother, at the same time shift the dat and cab files to the faster computer.

2. There's also the MFC, which we use to receive faxes in .tif, a image file type. These images are stored in another computer, a shared folder. Same problem, same temporary solution of upgrading/diy com, shifting shared folder.

3. There seems to a ever incresing demand for speed. So I was wonder if i were to get a specific server, things will speed it wont it?

4. As I was studying other alternatives, I chanced upon NAS, network accessed storage, i think, well I decided then that it was a cheaper alternative to a server, but ALAS! Speed of a NAS can be comparable to a "pentium one process w/o cache" as quoted by one of a guide. geezz.

5. So basically I was looking into a solution for faster access.

Where do you think I ought head towards now?

6. avisitor

avisitor

Well MS offers a 180 day trial of Windows Server 2008, you could download and try that.

You can put the shares on a separate HD/RAID array. Generally the boot and sysvols aren't on the same HD as all the other data.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice