1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What does "HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden Internet Explorer" Mean?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by referee07, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

:confused: Sometimes when I try to go to a website, I get the message: HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden Internet Explorer. What does this mean and can I change settings in IE to get past this error message? Thanks.

2. RandyG

RandyG

It means you have been refused access to that page, and it is a setting that the webmaster defines. nothing you can do can allow you to access it, other than contacting the webmaster in question and asking them to let you have access.

there are 61 articles in the MS Knowledgebase regarding this error, and most are caused by the webmaster, but if you are using IE 5, then you should upgarde to the latest service packs, or just upgarde to IE 6.

3. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

RandyG, thanks for the reply but I get this message whenever I try to go to many sites not just one. Could it be something that has changed in the settings on my computer in IE? This just started a day or two ago. Before that, I had no problem going to websites. Thanks.

4. RandyG

RandyG

hiya referee, i edited my original post, see if some of those articles help.

5. Sphere11

Sphere11

referee07, I had a very similar problem and this is how i fixed it.

Go to start > Run > type in: ipconfig /flushdns

If that doesnt help, trying viewing the same pages in different browsers (netscape or opera) and see if there is a difference

6. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Sphere11, I tried running this. The same thing happened when I tried to access websites. Actually, this usually now happens whenever I try to download something. When I ran ipconfig/flushdns, what appeared to be a black box flashed on the screen for a half second and then disappeared. Was this supposed to happen? Thanks.

7. Sphere11

Sphere11

Yea that black box is just the command executing itself. But I suppose if your still having the problem, its not what I thought it was. Did you try using other browsers?

8. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Sphere11, I tried downloading Opera but got the same message (403 Error).

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/250626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice