1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What does the memory of a video card mean?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XP_FTW, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XP_FTW

XP_FTW Thread Starter

I have a ATI RADEON EXPRESS 200 SERIES video card adapter, with 256MB of DDR memory. I was thinking about installing a dual VGA video card so I can put the dual monitor feature with windows XP to use. I saw one online for $6, which appears pretty cheap, but it only uses 16MB of DDR memory. I have no clue what the memory means on video cards. Is it the amount of memory windows needs to allocate from the RAM to run the card, which inevitably tells about the picture quality of the card? I have most of my computer knowledge based around performance so I don't really know much about picture and video cards and what not. Help?

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The 16MB is the amount of Ram actually on the Video Card.

Can you give us the Manufacturer and Model of your Motherboard?

3. XP_FTW

XP_FTW Thread Starter

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Should work if your Motherboard has an AGP slot. You still did not list your motherboard.

5. XP_FTW

XP_FTW Thread Starter

Do I have to open my computer to find out the motherboard? I previously just installed a NVIDIA GeForce 6200 video card in my computer and it fit fine. I don't know if that has any relevance.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Given that your computer has an AGP slot in it, it is obviously an older computer, but given that you can get the card you are looking at for under $10 it is worth it if it does what you want.

8. XP_FTW

XP_FTW Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+, x86 Family 15 Model 39 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1982 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series , 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 182574 MB, Free - 54007 MB; D: Total - 8197 MB, Free - 900 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., Amberine M, 1.03, MB-1234567890
    Antivirus: None

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice