Solved: What does the memory of a video card mean?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

XP_FTW

I have a ATI RADEON EXPRESS 200 SERIES video card adapter, with 256MB of DDR memory. I was thinking about installing a dual VGA video card so I can put the dual monitor feature with windows XP to use. I saw one online for $6, which appears pretty cheap, but it only uses 16MB of DDR memory. I have no clue what the memory means on video cards. Is it the amount of memory windows needs to allocate from the RAM to run the card, which inevitably tells about the picture quality of the card? I have most of my computer knowledge based around performance so I don't really know much about picture and video cards and what not. Help?

dustyjay

Jay
The 16MB is the amount of Ram actually on the Video Card.

Can you give us the Manufacturer and Model of your Motherboard?

dustyjay

Jay
Should work if your Motherboard has an AGP slot. You still did not list your motherboard.

XP_FTW

Do I have to open my computer to find out the motherboard? I previously just installed a NVIDIA GeForce 6200 video card in my computer and it fit fine. I don't know if that has any relevance.

dustyjay

Jay
Given that your computer has an AGP slot in it, it is obviously an older computer, but given that you can get the card you are looking at for under $10 it is worth it if it does what you want.

XP_FTW

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+, x86 Family 15 Model 39 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 1982 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series , 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 182574 MB, Free - 54007 MB; D: Total - 8197 MB, Free - 900 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., Amberine M, 1.03, MB-1234567890
Antivirus: None

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online