1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by atenford, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. atenford

atenford Thread Starter

I sometimes get the following message and it creeps me out because sometimes I do business on-line. It reads as follows:
    "Windows has detected an IP address conflict.Another computer on this network has the same IP address as this computer. Contact your network administrator for help resolving this issue. More details are available in the Windows System event log."
    As I am not a computer whiz I don't have a clue what to do.
    System is Windows Vista SP2 and internet connection is via Novatel stick, through Bell.I use Microsoft security essentials.

A Bell guy has assured me that nobody else can see my computer or see my personal data, but it is somewhat scary to close out my browser and then find that message was lurking there behind the window.

Anyone? Thanks....atenford

2. TechGirl_20

TechGirl_20

HI,

This is where you need to go: Control Panel\Network andInternet\Network and Sharing Center and then left click Local Area Connection. Then a box is going to come up and right click Properties and click IPV4 you want to make sure you click obtain a IP address not a static. I hope this helps.

3. atenford

atenford Thread Starter

Hi tech girl-thank you......so I got as far as network and sharing centre at which time the screen shows me a graphic of the way this computer is connected . "This computer"-----------"unidentified network"--------------"internet globe"
    Below that it says "unidentified network(Public network)
    below that it says "access" "local and Internet"
    "connection" "local area connection" "view status"
    below that it says " Sharing and Discovery" and the only thing turned 'on' in this section is Password-protected sharing.

Clicking on 'local area connection' doesn't do anything but clicking the 'view status' gives the following:
    IPv4 connectivity: internet
    IPv6 connectivity: limited
    media state: enabled
    duration: 25mins and counting
    speed: 1.1Gbps

Then there is a little box labelled 'details' which give a bunch more stuff. I can put that in too but it's pretty long.

atenford

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Slightly different instructions for the same purpose ...

To configure a dynamic IP address on your Windows Vista or 7 computer:

1. Click Start.
    2. Select Network, then Network and Sharing Center, and click Manage network connections or Change adapter settings from the list of tasks.
    3. Right click the connection of interest and click Properties.
    4. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) from the list and click the Properties button.
    5. Select Obtain an IP address automatically.
    6. Select Obtain DNS Server address automatically.
    7. Click OK.
    8. Click Close.

If you already have a dynamic connection then the problem is either with the ISP's Dhcp server or else one of their other customers is using a static IP address.

5. atenford

atenford Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet-thank you for your info. I was able to do as you said and the system was already set up to select an IP address automatically as well to obtain a dns server automatically.
    So I still don't know if I need to worry about the fact that the message comes up once in a while.
    atenford

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It is my understanding that you are connecting directly to your ISP via mobile wireless. If this is the case there is no need for you to worry, 'cause there's nothing you can do about it. If it is preventing you from using the service (getting internet access) complain to your ISP.

Also, if it is preventing you from getting internet access you can do the following ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following commands:

IPCONFIG /RELEASE

IPCONFIG /RENEW

It has been my experience that when you get a dup. IP with XP you often have to do the above; Windows 7 usually manages to fix the problem itself pretty quickly; and I do not know how Vista behaves.

If I am incorrect about your connection, if you are using a router, we can discuss that. But there is still nothing to really worry about--it's just a nuisance.

7. atenford

atenford Thread Starter

What a great site. Thank you very much.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083568

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice