1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What does "Warning: message could not send for the past 4 hours" mean anyway?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by HarleyiteKaty, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HarleyiteKaty

HarleyiteKaty Thread Starter

I sent an email to a few hundred people and for around 40 of them i got this "Warning: message could not send for the past 4 hours" email back. I understand that its not a Fail message and this this is one of those "there are no stupid questions" things but i would like to know:

What does this mean anyway?
    Does the person receive my email if i do not get a Failure message after this?
    Is there a way that i will not receive this message and only receive total failure messages?

I had the a few hundred other messages go through fine so i don't understand what causes this to happen to just a few dozen emails.

Thank you for being kind to Stupid Questions :)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Let's say I work for a company whose email goes to abc.com; you send to me at [email protected] and get one of those messages back. The message means, in essence, that your mail got to abc.com, but some kind of problem with the system prevented the message from being sent to my actual mail server or computer. It's possible that the reason my be that I was fired and you will eventually get a "hard" failure message, but generally it means that abc will fix their system and the message will eventually get to me.

I'm sure there are some exceptions but, in general, I will get the message if you don't latter get a "hard" failure message.

3. HarleyiteKaty

HarleyiteKaty Thread Starter

Awesome explanation! Thanks for the answer!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/806901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice