1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What exactly is a 'gaming computer'?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ralphygarfield, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphygarfield

ralphygarfield Thread Starter

I don't understand why some PC's, specifically laptops, are marketed as "gaming computers", or "gaming laptops".

The Dell XPS desktop I got a few months ago is not labeled as a "gaming pc", nor is my Toshiba Satellite L500D which I got just a few days ago. Yet I checked on http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/ and it appears both these PCs are perfectly capable of running most games with the highest specifications, in many cases even under the *recommended* specs.

So I understand that a PC marketed as a "gaming pc" will be able to run any modern game very, very well... but at the same time, it makes me feel that marketing them as a "gaming pc" is saying that everything else is not a "gaming pc" and will not be able to run many games at all. But this is not true.

So is marketing a computer as a "gaming pc" basically a marketing scheme?

2. DerekC

DerekC

Your laptop may pass the system requirements but that doesn't mean it will perform well. You may have the hardware, but keep in mind there are different levels of hardware.

You may have enough ram, but I'll bet it's speed is going to be slower then the ram in a gaming laptop. Your video card may have enough MBs, but it's probably integrated with shared memory, and will not perform as well as gaming laptop that has a non-integrated card.

Keep in mind that you get what you pay for. I'm not saying that non-gaming laptops use poorly made parts, but because they are not "gaming computers", they can get away with putting in cheaper and less powerful parts.

3. krazykat691

krazykat691

what makes a gaming system is the type of parts that are uses. gaming computers have high graphic capabilities as well as powerful processors. a nice audio cardwont hurt either lol. gaming pc's however heat up quickly due to the amount of power it uses, and require a very reliable cooling system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!