1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What file can I download off a Crashed XP computer to get a machine name?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by StumpedTechy, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy Thread Starter

I have a failed HDD. I am able to recover files only using a third party file recovery tool.

I know how to get the machine name a number of ways but all are through the GUI and through the command prompt when the OS is booted. This HDD WON"T BOOT.

What file can I download off this HDD to get the old Machine Name?

TIA.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

At least once a week you come up with something that really peaks my Interest. I think I got something in mind but can't remember what the name of the program is.

3. Squashman

Here is what I am thinking. You could use a BartPE disk which has a Load Registry Hive plugin. The computer name of course has to be in the Registry.

Or you can use Sysinternals Remote Recover which also has a utility to Load the Registry of the dead system.
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RemoteRecover.html

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Might need to try searching the old registry. It may be under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

5. StumpedTechy

Well that tool didn't work very well. I think its how I was using it and the fact i have no time to look over documentation. Also I can't search the old registry because the PC isn't bootable. I tried to find a utility that would look at a slaved drivers registry but that was taking forever.,

I did determine I am going to run a login script that makes a little txt file on the HDD for me so I don't have to worry about it in the future. Oh and let me tell you how I found the name... I went to the dead HDD's - \windows\System32\Config and downloaded the Sysevent.evt to the C: drive of the good PC. This gave me the log that has the machine name on each log entry :) and i just loaded the event log in the working PC's mmc.

Thanks for the help brainstorming guys.

6. Squashman

Good idea Stumpy. But I always have a BartPE disk on hand so it would have taken me all of the time to bootup the dead pc and load the registry to find the info. Might want to think about making yourself a BartPE disk one of these days. It has come in handy for me several times.

7. Squashman

BartPE just uses the Registry editor from Windows XP. For some reason I thought it used a different utility. So if you had the drive mounted in another Windows system you could have just loaded the hive from the system you had the drive mounted in.

Attached Files:

8. StumpedTechy

Yeah I have never used BartPE but then again there are a TON of programs I have never used... too many software solutions out there to try them all. I have been noteing some of the big names I see on here all the time and want to use them in the future... if I can find the time..

BartPE looks like I'll have to invest some time in from what I see it has a ton of plugins and functions you can do so I'll have to wade through it all at some point.

Actually right now I am mad at this ontrack recovery program I am using it allows you to look at the Filesystem, the raw data and a ton of other options as far as file recovery but it doesn't have something as simple as a registry viewer/recovery item....

Mind you it finds the files I need GREAT but it needs more functionality.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!