1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What file extensions does ransomware encrypt?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Alex Ethridge, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Just wondering which file extensions does ransomware encrypt? Obviously, it does JPG, DOC, DOCX and other obvious user-created data files and it does not encrypt EXE, DLL and other program files; but, is there a list somewhere?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    There is a lot of info here
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/cryptolocker-ransomware-information

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Wow! What a mess!

Thanks for the answer.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Yep, and it also encrypts drives attached to the PC
    as well as onedrive, dropbox etc

Dropbox do have versions - so you may be able to get your files back BUT onedrive does not and if encrypted will also be lost (i confirmed this with MS a few weeks ago)

I had this with a client recently who opened what they thought was a PDF CV and all the files on the computer, onedrive and email client got corrupted

so a 3-2-1 backup stratergy is crucial 3 copies 2 local and 1 offline

I recently have been using a few online backup services and quite like idrive.com - as that does keep uptp 10 versions and can also backup IOS and Andriod devices (photos etc)
    although you only get 5GB for free - I have a few clients using the paid version 1TB and its working well backing up everything onto the one site, which they particularly wanted - and also icloud for the ios devices - so belt and braces really

there are quite a few other good online sites like carbonite
    But the shock for me was onedrive being corrupted as well

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice