Solved: what folder contains windows sidebar notepad texts?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

michbear

hello,

I am running windows vista and I am wondering which file contains the notepad from windows sidebar? the notes.gadgets file from program files - windows sidebar - gadgets only seems to have notepad images but i cannot retrieve the texts i had written on my actual notes. does anyone know where i can find the actual texts? thanks!

etaf

Wayne
the texts should be here
%localappdata%\microsoft\windows sidebar\settings.ini

michbear

hello,

i have my HDD plugged into a Mac so when I access my files, that sidebar/settings/ini folder is only filled with jargon. is there a way i can view this file on a mac where it actually shows the texts?

etaf

Wayne
i have setup the notes gadget and added three notes

fred
dick
harry

now opening the settings.ini file
you can see the notes content at the bottom of the text - i have highlighted in red

is this the type of file you are seeing - you need to open in a basic editor - like notpad on windows - not sure what you would use in mac os
[Root]
SettingsVersion="00.00.00.01"
SidebarShowState="Exploded"
SidebarDockedPartsOrder="0x5,0x4,0x1,0x2,0x3,"
Section0="1"
Section1="2"
Section2="3"
SidebarAutoStart="false"
SidebarDockedPartsPage1="4"
OneTimeHideMessageShown="true"
OneTimeExitMessageShown="true"
PickerPosX="491"
PickerPosY="154"
SidebarDockSide="2"
SidebarAlwaysOnTop="false"
SidebarDockMonitor="0"
Section3="4"
Section4="5"
[Section 1]
PrivateSetting_GadgetName=%PROGRAMFILES%\windows sidebar\gadgets\Clock.gadget
PrivateSetting_Enabled=true
PrivateSetting_GadgetTopmost="false"
PrivateSetting_SidebarDockedState="Docked"
SettingsExist="True"
clockName=
themeID="0"
timeZoneIndex="36"
secondsEnabled="True"
[Section 2]
PrivateSetting_GadgetName=%PROGRAMFILES%\windows sidebar\gadgets\SlideShow.Gadget
[Section 3]
PrivateSetting_GadgetName=%PROGRAMFILES%\windows sidebar\gadgets\RSSFeeds.Gadget
loadFirstTime=defaultGadget

[Hashes]
D:\Program Files\windows sidebar\gadgets\SlideShow.Gadget="%7B59359FCA-B88E-AD0A-3EB8-B038FDE8999D%7D"
D:\Program Files\windows sidebar\gadgets\RSSFeeds.Gadget="%7B100FEFFD-986B-BC60-220F-EEA892FBB4A4%7D"
D:\Program Files\windows sidebar\gadgets\Clock.gadget="%7B5E077F07-C6CC-ED04-FC31-319239EC1788%7D"
C:\Program Files\windows sidebar\gadgets\RSSFeeds.Gadget="%7B100FEFFD-986B-BC60-220F-EEA892FBB4A4%7D"
C:\Program Files\windows sidebar\gadgets\SlideShow.Gadget="%7B59359FCA-B88E-AD0A-3EB8-B038FDE8999D%7D"
C:\Program Files\windows sidebar\gadgets\Clock.gadget="%7B5E077F07-C6CC-ED04-FC31-319239EC1788%7D"
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\Calendar.Gadget="%7B75F65C69-AD5B-6CC0-C6D7-AB4B78E86669%7D"
C:\Users\Wayne\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\XirrusWiFiMonitor.gadget="%7B135AB7B2-1F01-3968-9287-31A9ED4AD01D%7D"
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\Weather.Gadget="%7B55D1312A-6C9D-E778-149D-CD6C64B86B20%7D"
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\Notes.Gadget="%7B331A1952-3CAF-F745-6F51-EBBFC27AFD4C%7D"
[Section 4]
PrivateSetting_GadgetName="C:%5CUsers%5CWayne%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CMicrosoft%5CWindows%20Sidebar%5CGadgets%5CXirrusWiFiMonitor.gadget"
PrivateSetting_Enabled="true"
skinIndex="2"
version="1.2.0"
SettingExist="True"
frequency="0"
adapterCount="0"
adapterIndex="0"
displaytypeIndex="0"
rssimethodIndex="0"
enableRotation="True"
pollTimeout="1"
enableLocateSound="False"
[Section 5]
PrivateSetting_GadgetName="C:%5CProgram%20Files%5CWindows%20Sidebar%5CGadgets%5CNotes.Gadget"
PrivateSetting_Enabled="true"
0="fred"
NoteCount="3"
SettingsExist="True"
NoteState="2"
ColorSaved="yellow"
FontSaved="Segoe%20Print"
SizeDockedSaved="12"
SizeUndockedSaved="12"
1="dick"
2="harry"

michbear

for some reason my local app data folder is nowhere to be seen, is this a hidden folder that i cannot access? because otherwise if i just go to program files - windows sidebar - settings.ini this is what comes up:
[Root]
SettingsVersion=00.00.00.01
SidebarShowState=Exploded
SidebarDockedPartsOrder=0x1,0x2,0x3,
Section0=1
Section1=2
Section2=3
SidebarAutoStart=false
[Section 1]
[Section 2]
PrivateSetting_GadgetName=%PROGRAMFILES%\windows sidebar\gadgets\SlideShow.Gadget
[Section 3]
PrivateSetting_GadgetName=%PROGRAMFILES%\windows sidebar\gadgets\RSSFeeds.Gadget

and this doesnt show the texts =(

etaf

Wayne
is this a hidden folder that i cannot access?
it is hidden
show hidden folders
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista/
under username
/appdata / local / microsoft /windows sidebar

under programs - i have the same as you - see below

so you need the user version

[Root]
SettingsVersion=00.00.00.01
SidebarShowState=Exploded
SidebarDockedPartsOrder=0x1,0x2,0x3,
Section0=1
Section1=2
Section2=3
SidebarAutoStart=false
[Section 1]
[Section 2]
[Section 3]

michbear

well unfortunately i cant access my windows OS, just the HDD so I cannot go into the folder options, so thanks for your help but i am going to give up for now lol

etaf

Wayne
not sure how a Mac views the windows folders - do you have another PC
you could try UBUNTU - and run a standalone OS - this has worked for a few people - but not on a Mac

as i say not a Mac user but do you need to show hidden files on the Mac to be able to see hidden files in windows - very unlikely
But nothing to lose
http://www.mactricksandtips.com/2008/04/show-hidden-files.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------

UBUNTU Stand Alone CD
It may be possible to boot from another Operating System
This will at least test the Hardware and also see if you can see the Harddrive and possibly get data off.

If you have another PC with a cdwriter and spare CD
goto http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the ISO http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

You can also run from a USB device now - if the Machine supports booting off a USB Stick
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

full details are here (Note this is for version 9 - so the start up options are slightly different )
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

click on the image "download ubuntu"
Select a location
then begin download
Save the file onto your PC – remember where you saved it – so you can find it again to create the image bootable CD.

You do NOT copy the ISO file onto a CD - you have to use the ISO to create a bootable CD
The CD creator software you have on the PC may have an option to create an image from an ISO
If not - use this free program http://www.imgburn.com/

When the UBUNTU CD boots - you will see a screen - with Language on the left panel and two option images labelled

== > Try ubuntu
== > Install ubuntu

You can try Ubuntu without making any changes to your computer, directly from this CD

Use OPTION 1 "Try ubunto without any change to your computer" ONLY this option this will run from the CD and not install onto your harddrive - be careful, if you do install onto the PC - you will wipe the data and software OFF your hard drive.., so repeat only use option 1

Now you should see a UBUNTU desktop
This at least proves the main parts of the PC are working

You may see your Harddrive on the desktop - if not have in look in the places on the tool bar at the top of the screen.

If you can see your harddrive – see if you can find the your datafiles –
XP look in “documents and settings” under the user name you had on the PC
Vista/Windows 7 look in “user” under the user name you had on the PC

Now if you have a USB flash drive or external harddrive – you should be able to copy your data from the harddrive onto the USB device

----------------------------------------------------------

michbear

ok i was able to view the hidden folders on my HDD by allowing access to the hidden folders on the Mac and so i have located the folder and can view my texts =) so yayy thank you very much for all of your efforts!!

etaf

Wayne
thanks for the update - useful to know that you have to set a mac to see hidden files to be able to see windows hidden files

your welcome (y) thanks for letting us know
You can mark your own threads solved using the
button at the top of the page of the thread in the upper left corner.
:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online