Solved: what happened to my IE toolbar?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bj nick

I have IE6 with windows xp, but this problem has occurred in the past with win98 as well. Every once in awhile- I don't know what I did to cause this- my default IE toolbar will transform into another toolbar: one with simple icons- a star for favorites, a house for history, etc, etc. I hate it! In the past I've gotten rid of it at some point but I don't know how or why...something I do causes it to go back to normal, but I don't get it.

Does anyone have a clue what happens here?

Thanks.

sle

Not sure I understand? I fyou right-click on the toolbar, then click "Customize," you can choose whether or not to have text along with the icons. Or do you mean that you've (perhaps) defaulted the toolbar back to its presets - ie, you don't normally have Favorites on your toolbar but now it's there?

bj nick

See, this is what gets so frustrating. I did what you said, and that seemed to be the solution; now my toolbar was back the way it belonged. But now, a few minutes later, it's back to the same old thing, AND...the option to "add text with icons" is now grayed out, so i no longer have that option of fixing it that way. it's as if the program is saying "ok, you tried that once, but it won't work again...!"

I just want my toolbar with text together with the icons back PERMANENTLY. Any ideas? And why would it be grayed out? :eek: :confused:

sle

Wow, how odd. And definitely frustrating! I'm no guru, but I would suspect this to be one of the following:
1. Damage somewhere in the IE files
2. One of those weirdo happenings MS keeps issung patches for
3. Spyware
4. Conflict with another IE plug-in

So my suggestions would be to verify you're up-to-date w.the MS patches, then run a spyware scan like Ad-Aware. If that doesn't fix the problem, we can go on to Hijack This to see if some other plug in could be causing a conflict.

bj nick

Well, the toolbar came back...I had to reinstall Grokster pro, and when I did, it came back. Beats me why...I've had Grokster for a long time and the toolbar issue doesn't seem to be connected. My guess is that something in the setup or whatever triggers something else which affects the toolbar. I say that because I've had the same issue with my work computer; the IE toolbar text labels will suddenly vanish, only to reappear unexpectedly.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Hopefully next time it happens I can deal with it...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online