1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: what happened to my xp file search function?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by archp2007, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. archp2007

archp2007 Thread Starter

Hello all. I seem to have done something that has knocked out my Start Search (or was it start find) function. when I click on start search, I get a kind of disabled Internet Explorer box instead of the familiar search options with the usual buttons for location, file name, etc. This seems to have happened shortly after I got rid of the animated character and did a lot of other XP performance tweaks. I did turn the indexing service off but turned it back on and that did not help. Any help would be appreciated. I only now realize how essential that file search function is. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Why doesn't Search work?

Open Explorer and go to the Windows\inf folder. Locate the srchasst.inf file. Right click it and select Install. You'll need your XP CD or the files from the i386 folder. (This fix will require you to have your Win XP CD).

The Windows\inf folder is a hidden folder. You can adjust your Explorer Folder Options (View tab) to Show hidden files and folders. You can also click Start, Run and enter %SystemRoot%\inf to open directly to the inf folder.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm

Tufenuf

3. kniht

kniht

You can go ahead and turn off the Indexing Service.

Try this:

Go to Start, then Run and type the following: (Ckick OK after each entry)
    These entries assume Windows Directory is on C drive. If not use the appropriate drive.

regsvr32 /i "C:\Windows\Srchasst\srchui.dll"
    regsvr32 /i "C:\Windows\system32\urlmon.dll"
    regsvr32 "C:\Windows\system32\jscript.dll"

If the above doesn't help try reinstalling Search.

You must be logged on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group in order to perform this procedure.

1. Click Start , click Run , and then type the following command:

%systemroot%\inf

NOTE: There are no spaces at all in the preceding command line.

2. Click OK to open the INF folder.

3. Locate the file Srchasst.inf .

4. Right-click the file, and then click Install . This will reinstall the files that
    Search needs to proceed normally.

You may be asked to place your windows XP cd rom in the drive.

4. archp2007

archp2007 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick and detailed relies. I fixed this problem by simply going into IE7 and changing he security and prvacy options to deafault. Evidently this was a javasript issue. It also screwed up my Systems Restore page which was previusly only bring up a blank, but it's ok again now. Now, if those were the only XP issues I am having .... I guess we can only fix one thing at at time. Regards.

5. kniht

kniht

Thanks for posting the fix. (y)

I had a problem about a week ago in that I would open Outlook Express, click on the first email to open and there was a 10 second delay before the email would actually open. All other emails after the first opened immediately.

Spent hours trying to figure what was causing the delay, finally went into IE7 Internet Options Advanced tab and clicked on the "reset" button. No more delay in opening the first email in OE.

It's amazing how IE7 has integrated itself into one's system. Didn't have the problem with IE6.

I'm keeping your fix in my notes.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice