1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What is FVDHN

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Kimosh, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kimosh

Kimosh Thread Starter

Hi,
    I need urgent help!!
    My laptop...Toshiba Satellite L355-S7812 wount boot! As soon as I power it up, it gives me the Toshiba logo then black screen with the following message..

FVDHN is compressed
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

... when I do, it brings me back to this same message!
    What do I do to rectify this problem ! Please help me.

Kim

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Your specs say XP but this is the Windows 7 forum. Which OS is the Toshiba running?
    That has 5 letters, so would match NTLDR rather than BOOTMGR, which is the XP Boot Loader.
    Don't know why the letters would be different though.
    Do you have your Windows OS disc?

3. Kimosh

Kimosh Thread Starter

Hi there,
    My OS is Windows 7 and the HDD is FUJITSU MHY220BH (S1), and you are correct in this observation.
    However I am not sure what you meant by the boot loader, where can I get this information.
    When I registered with techguy, I used my desktop and it picked up the specs of my desktop. I changed that already.
    I have my Windows OS disc but my DVD drive got messed so cant use it. any suggestions on what I can do based on this infor.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The boot loader is the file that starts the booting process, usually by calling a small program also called a boot loader, or second stage boot loader, to load the operating system.
    XP uses a file named NTLDR, Vista and later use a file named Bootmgr. I have no idea what FVDHN is though, ony noted that is all capitals and is 5 characters, same format as the NTLDR file name.

I don't know if Toshiba renamed the file, or if something else is going on, the name can be changed easy enough, but you have to modify the MBR on the hard drive so it looks for the different name. Never heard of a manufacturer changing the file name though.

The fix is to boot to the DVD and use the Command Prompt to uncompress the file. If the DVD drive doesn't work, that's going to make it difficult.
    If you have a 4 GB flash drive, you can put the Win7 DVD on it and make it bootabel. That would lets us get to the Command Prompt to uncompress the file.
    See this article for the procedure:

Install Windows 7/Vista From USB Drive

If your Desktop has an available SATA port, and a data and power cable, you can connect the laptop drive to the desktop to access it to make repairs.

5. Kimosh

Kimosh Thread Starter

Hi, thanks fopr this information, I have a data & power cable and the lap top has SATA port, How can I use the Desk top to make repairs. Could you please guide me.

6. Megabite

Megabite

7. Kimosh

Kimosh Thread Starter

Hi Megabite, I removethe HD and then what?? just wondering in advance to understand why I would need to dismantle my laptop. please help me understand.

8. Megabite

Megabite

OK......can you now hook it up to your other PC using the data cable.......as a secondary drive...there should be a spare Sata plug on the motherboard next to the where the main Hard drive is plugged in.

9. Kimosh

Kimosh Thread Starter

Megabite, let me see if I understand u correctly.
    1. I remove my HD from my laptop/.
    2. connect it to my desk top as a secondary HD ?
    Is this correct?
    How does the SATA cable look like?

10. Megabite

Megabite

1. I remove my HD from my laptop/. Yes
    2. connect it to my desk top as a secondary HD ? Yes

How does the SATA cable look like?

Pic below

Attached Files:

11. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

That's a SATA cable. Here's a pic of the two types of drives:
    SATA is the skinny one on the right:
    [​IMG]

Once you can see the files on this drive, you can uncompress them by right clicking the file(s, then click Properties.
    Click the Advanced button, then uncheck the box for Compress contents to save disk space.

You may have to set your system to show hidden and system files:
    To change View Settings to show hidden and system files:
    In Windows Explorer, click on Tools | Folder Options -> View tab
    (In Vista/Win 7 press the ALT key to display the Menu bar)
    Check the following:
    • Display the contents of system folders (not present in Win2K/Vista)
    • Show hidden files and folders
    Uncheck the following:
    • Hide extensions for known file types (WinXP/Vista)
    • Hide file extensions for known file types (Win2K)
    • Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

12. Kimosh

Kimosh Thread Starter

let me try this... I'll tell you how it goes in a short while.... God help me !!hope you'llbe online to help me if I get stuck

13. Kimosh

Kimosh Thread Starter

btw, where to I locate the HD for the desk top, and where to plug the HD?

14. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Hard drives are usually mounted to the front panel, or on the bottom of the case. You can follow the cable from the hard drive back to where it connects to the MotherBoard, there should be another connector nearby, unless you have a very small size desktop, those sometimes only have two connectors, one fo rthe hard drive, one for the CD/DVD.
    The User or Service guide for the desktop or motherboard should have a picture showing where the connectors are located.
    What is the make/model of the desktop? The Guides are usually available online.
    You'll also need to boot into the BIOS and enable the port you connect the laptop drive to; unused ports are usually turned off in the BIOS.

Be sure you have the system unplugged when connecting the cables. The laptop drive doesn't have to be physically installed, just be sure it won't fall over, or land on anything inside the desktop, as that could cause a short.

15. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Based on experience with ATA drives, if you do only have 2 connectors you can temporarily replace a CD/DVD drive with the HD & it will work. You won't get good performance but it'll work. At least it does with ATA drives-haven't had to try this yet with a SATA drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!