1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] what is msbb.exe

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sabledog, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sabledog

sabledog Guest Thread Starter

my nortons firewall keeps telling me that msbb.exe is trying to access the internet... the details that nortons give. are
    c:\progra~1\n-Case\msbb.exe

does anybody know what this is... i cant figure out..
    thanks
    sd

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

sabledog
    msbb.exe is part of a major spyware program courtesy of Web3000. The best way to handle this situation is download and run AdAware and post what is found back here but do not remove yet. Also download and run the startup log by Rmbox so we can see what is starting where.

LavaSoft AdAware spyware checker
    http://www.lsfileserv.com/downloads.html
    Download the AdAware main program 5.0 version 5.62 and also the lastest Reflist. Once AdAware is set up unzip and copy and replace to old reflist in the AdAware folder.

RmBox program
    First download "start-log" from http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/Toys.html
    If you do not have a zip program on your computer then at bottom of page is an unzipped version available.

Dave

3. sabledog

i had already ran ad aware and removed before i got your reply..
    i also did a system restore... running winxp ..to an earlier time today...

i also notice that when i did a search for msbb.exe.. i had 2 files there... one was just msbb.exe... that one is gone now... i still have this one file.. on there...
    it is MSBB.EXE -31424d.pf location c:\windows\prefetch

is this part of the of spy ware also... or what

thanks
    sd

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Sabledog
    I assume you uninstalled web3000 and its sister programs through the add-remove programs area. So that considered there is still another program running that is calling the msbb.exe.
    Have you run the startup log to determine if you have other startup items you have overlooked that are being called.
    I am not a 100% sure if RmBox startup log will run on XP but I believe it will.
    As for your question of MSBB.EXE -31424d.pf location c:\windows\prefetch is this part of it. The answer is sure looks that way but if you deleted the main MSBB.EXE wouldn't you think you should be getting an error when another program wants to call it.
    Dave

5. sabledog

rmbox would not run on xp....there is no web3000 on my machine... i think i got all of this from installing sharebear program... i have uninstalled that also... msbb.exe is not trying to access the internet anymore..... i should be able to delete the msbb. exe -31424d.pf without any problems...right...
    thanks
    sd

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Sabledog
    I would think it Ok to delete just hold in recycle to make sure other probs don't occur.
    Dave

Good info about RmBox thanks.
    Dave

7. sabledog

thanks.... you guys are great on here...
    have a good week
    sd

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice