1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: what is the best computer brand/company to deal with?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Greytabby, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Greytabby

Greytabby Account Closed Thread Starter

hi!everyone, i hope this is the correct forum. my brother in tennessee is going to soon buy a desktop for various reasons and my sister in tennessee is going to buy a laptop for her business. i searched for this question but could not find an answer for me. what brand or company is best to buy from? both have considered dell but lately i have heard bad things about dell. so what do all of you suggest? i appreciate you help.:)

2. valis

valis Moderator

dell is great for business (well, used to be...now they are apparently insane), but hp is my usual reco for home users. I fly an hp rig here, bought my dad an hp laptop, and my wife is getting a new lappy and it will most likely be an hp.....IMO, and I have to deal with both of htem on a daily basis, hp tech support has outclassed dell's in recent years.

Well, to be honest, dell sort of helped out by downclassing theirs, but that's another story entirely.

And I am very willing to be a large sum of money that someone will come along and completely invalidate what I am saying. :)

Lots of opinions out there. Hit Consumer Reports too.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

At this point if you must by a brand name pc, I would suggest HP.

4. Lord Pyro

Lord Pyro

Yep Hp, best customer support :)

5. telegramsam

telegramsam

What do you plan to use the computer for? Gaming? Office/Internet work?...That's a very important consideration when you're shopping.

6. Greytabby

my brother will use his desk top for business/office, tax upkeep, keeping record of his business travels, (he delivers school busses) including expenses he incurs. internet and email and personal use such as photo storage were he takes pictures with his camera cell phone of damaged busses that are damaged when he gets them, and some gaming.

my sister will use her laptop for business and internet and email. she will keep track of her patience records and etc...

7. telegramsam

telegramsam

Well--shop carefully. Anything for gaming should NOT have onboard video. You can use pretty much anything available for everything you mentioned except the gaming.

But you can most likely find an HP that has an add-in video card. One thing to remember about branded systems is that it's really difficult to upgrade them in most cases. They might not have a video slot, might not have enough power supply...etc...

So shop carefully. Feel free to post prospective choices if you want an idea of whether a machine can handle moderate gaming or not.

8. Greytabby

gaming is not important. mostly the other stuff. he uses play station 3 for the majority of his gaming. if he does any pc gaming it will mostly be solitaire and the like.
    thanks for everyones help. the more suggestions the merrier!!:D (y)

9. thechanmane

thechanmane

I'd also throw my vote in for HP. Besides the useful technical support via phone, the online technical support (driver and download support) is far superior. I've worked with both Dell and HP (two obvious choices for new computers), and i can attest to the fact that HP computers have excellent features that users crave and excellent technical support when those features are working as they should. On a more technical level, HP computers ship with fewer auto-launch programs and background utilities when compared to similar models provided by other computer manufacturers. While some users enjoy the features these programs provide, they are most often detrimental due to memory consumption and occasionally CPU use. This is of course my opinion, but i base my opinions strictly from personal experience and not the thoughts or desires of others.

10. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

11. valis

valis Moderator

good point, and one that I should've brought up. First thing we do with new dell's is 'sanitize' them; off comes anything that says google, norton, or symantec, and then cherry pick through the rest of the garbage to see what we need to lose as well.

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

You know another point about HP is they have several system restores, one of which does what we used to call a clean install where it restores the OS and the programs and the files and data are saved as well.

13. Greytabby

thanks everyone. this info is very useful. anymore tips?
    tabby

14. Greytabby

hey rich, excuse my dumbness when it comes to pc's:eek: but what does what you say here mean? is that good? sorry for my ignorance.:)

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

greytabby,
    Restore disks or partitions from pc makers usually wipe the entire operating system including any of your files and folders or email, to return the pc to pristine as when you first got it. The HP restore will do that or it will restore only Windows and the programs, but keep whatever files and data you had on old operating system in tact so you lose nothing. It is a definite plus.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541005

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice