Solved: What is the best router?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

techy689

I am looking to buy a new router. Any recommendations? I have always preferred Linksys, but it doesn't really matter.

I am looking for an A/B/G router because A would be the fastest way for me to stream media to my XBOX 360.

If you have any personal choices, ideas, or recommendations, they would be much appreciated.

DoubleHelix

Banned
Are you sure you can get an 802.11a adapter for your XBOX? And will the router be within 50 feet of the XBOX? That's the largest range for the 802.11a protocol.

I'm not sure you'd find many 802.11a/b/g routers since the "a" protocol didn't really take off. The only "a" product on Linksys's web site is an A+G access point.

I've had good luck with netgear. I got a refurbished rangemax and up one floor, acroos one room and through a wall 1 foot thick, I get Very good/Excellent signal and ALWAYS 54mbps.

techy689

Well, yes my 360 does support a/b/g and it recommends a wireless router with a capability. Otherwise I was going to get the new Linksys Wireless N Gigabit Router....

Check that the N is backwards compatable to b/g. G will be fine for pretty much anything.

techy689

The Xbox 360 wireless piece doesnt support n technology... so any good a/b/g routers?

As I said, I have the Belkin router that I linked you to, and it is backwards compatible. I've been using it with 360 with no problems.

techy689

I understand that... but, it doesn't have wireless A capability. Wireless A is better than g or b. So i want a Wireless A router.....

techy689

JEEZ... 50 feet... thats crazy. nothing farther.? nothing that can expand the capability

cuz my 360 is all the way in the basement

DoubleHelix

Banned
802.11a is a unique protocol. One of the reasons it didn't catch on is because it had a limited range. No, there's nothing you can do to increase the range and keep the speed. 802.11n is going to be the new protocol that will combine speed and range, however, it hasn't yet been finalized so any equipment purchased may or may not work with the finalized protocol.

b and g have much further range than a. Stop worrying about the a type. It's so that people with ancient routers can get online. Get yourself an N router, and just use it as G for your xbox.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online