1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What is the best way to move data?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tubes, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tubes

tubes Thread Starter

Someone I know recently had a PC break down, but the hard drive fortunately was left intact. They have since purchased a new one, however I have been entrusted with moving all the data, mainly photos from their hard drive onto a DVD for them. I think I know what I'm doing, but I have a nasty habit of running into these things without thinking them through. So I though I'd put a post here asking people what they thought would be the best way to do this task.
    Thanks
    Tubes

2. Darkst4r

Darkst4r It's My Birthday!

What I would do is simply drag and select all the files you want to transfer from hard disk to DVD , right click the highlighted files , choose copy.
    Then go to "my computer" find the drive which contains the blank disk , open the drive by double clicking it , the right click and paste.

Failing that just drag all the files onto the blank DVD drive , it will automatically create copies and leave the originals on the hard drive.

3. valis

valis Moderator

if it's xp......

4. Darkst4r

Indeed , maybe you could provide the correct procedure for Vista as in not familiar with it.

Should have asked first really:rolleyes:

5. valis

valis Moderator

as for vista, I haven't a clue....if it's in xp, chances are very high it's in vista as well. My wife's lappy is vista (what I'm on now), but I'm still breaking it, so haven't gotten around to the 'fixing' part yet. :)

6. tubes

tubes Thread Starter

Thanks Guys, but its XP :)

7. Darkst4r

Then just follow my first post and you should be fine.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice