1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What is the difference between dvi-d and dvi mm?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by dogg94, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dogg94

dogg94 Thread Starter

What is the difference between dvi-d and dvi mm?

What do i need to look for when trying to by a dvi to hdmi converter i've found some variances in the dvi suffixes and wondering if i need to worry about it, i am setting up a home system to ouput video from my pc to my tv in wall while finishing my basement, also any input on wall boxes etc. would be appreciated by someone who has tackled a project like this in the past, thank you

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Here is a link to a web site that seems to do a good job of explaining the different DVI suffixes:

http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_Digital_Visual_Interface_DVI_Bus.html

They also have a page for HDMI that mentions the differences between the newer HDMI and older DVI standards:

http://www.interfacebus.com/HDMI_Pinout_Bus.html

The only references I can find for "DVI mm" are for DVI Male-to-Male cables that have male plugs on each end.

EDIT: As for HDMI <-> DVI converters, they usually consist of an HDMI and DVI-D wired together to pass single digital video channel DVI data from an HDMI source or to an HDMI input device.

3. dogg94

dogg94 Thread Starter

Thank you cwwozniak that summed up the info i was looking for and havn't been able to source much obliged!!

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You are welcome. (y)

I added a note about the converters while you were posting your reply. :D

5. dogg94

dogg94 Thread Starter

I believe that should work pretty well the end result will be dvi-d out to hdmi into an lcd tv and running from my sound card to my stereo for audio both for the video and for music playback. :cool:

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I believe that your belief is correct.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice