1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What is too hot for a graphics card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by icarus101, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. icarus101

icarus101 Thread Starter

I am trying to find out what is to hot for a grapics card? or a website to further information.

I am currently running a
    ASUS EN8400GS Silent
    512 MB DDR2 no fan just a heatsink

Windows Vista 32 bit.

according to ASUS smart doctor it idles around 50 degrees celsius.

I want to know when i should start worrying? I am going to be playing Dawn of War II but don't wanna fry the thing. It jumped up to 63 degrees celsius after 5 minutes of gameplay.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I have an Asus EAH3450 that is passively cooled, it would idle in the high 50s under moderate load would get into the high 60's low 70's. I did not like that at all. I had an old fan from a cpu Heatsink laying around, I attached that to the heatsink and now it idles in the low 30's and gets to the high 40's under moderate load. The heat sink fan is totally silent by the way.

3. icarus101

icarus101 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Your suggestion to keep it under 50 degrees celsius sounds smart.

Do you know any websites that define the recommendation for graphics card. I checked the entire manual and support CD but it says nothing about temps.

4. omgtehpwn

omgtehpwn

I might be wrong about this,but I'm pretty sure that graphics card processors have a higher temperature threshold than normal computer CPU's do.I wouldn't worry about low 60's under load.80ish is when you should start to worry.

My 8800GT with a high RPM fan idles in high 40's and in low 60's under load.No hiccups in the 2 months I've had it.

5. icarus101

icarus101 Thread Starter

Sweet. I think your right.

I downloaded ASUS SmartDoctor to monitor the GPU temperature. When I turned on the "Enable Heat Protection." its default setting is 80 degrees Celsius before it warns you and closes all your windows.

6. Compiler

Compiler

GPUs run hotter than CPUS... especially if you're using a passive cooled (no fan) version.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/835635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice