Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: What makes a computer "branded"

5K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  CTPhil 
#1 ·
I recently re-installed Windows on my Dell 4600, and when I tried to install a multimedia program that came bundled with it new, I got "OpenPhysicalMemory Failed", and then, "can only install this software on a Dell computer". So I dug in and found a "custom.ini" file with an instruction for Setup "CLScan=Dell". Apparently Setup looks for evidence that it's allowed to install the software, and can't find it.

So what makes a branded computer a branded computer? My BIOS knows it's a Dell. What software or file(s) are installed that brands an essentially generic collection of hardware? Is there an app that makes a Registry entry that bundled software looks for at Setup?

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
I used a Dell XP disc with the original code. I did however use the disc from my 4700 because it had SP2 on it already, but the code was from the 4600.

#5 ·
I am not entirely sure how the recovery disks determine they are being used in the correct computer. I have an acer laptop. Last year I had a virus which messed big time with everything. The file allocation tables had been changed and windows was non functional. After removing the virus I had to reinstall windows. I inserted the system recovery windows xp disk. It all started out fine, then halfway through just stopped giving an error to the effect that the xp disk could not be loaded on this computer. Aaaag. This leads me to think it has something to do with file allocation. Like you, all the bios setting still said the computer was an acer. Further, I noted the computer still had the correct serial number. Fortunately I have a volume licensing agreement with MS, so I could use another copy of windows xp, which worked fine.
Recently I had to send my laptop to acer for repairs. They kindly reinstalled the original software -factory default. I have no idea what they did but the system recovery disks works once more.
Dell have good customer support. I recommend you phone them and ask. Like acer they may be willing to reinstall the original software. All I had to do was provide the laptops serial number, which as I said is stored in the bios settings.

#6 ·
CTPhil said:
I used a Dell XP disc with the original code. I did however use the disc from my 4700 because it had SP2 on it already, but the code was from the 4600.
That's the problem right there, with Dell OEM versions of Windows you must use the install disc that came with the computer to reinstall Windows and it can't be used on any other machine.

Download the SP2 update before you reinstall so you can apply it and then use the Windows firewall before you go online to get the rest of the updates.

#7 ·
stantley said:
That's the problem right there, with Dell OEM versions of Windows you must use the install disc that came with the computer to reinstall Windows and it can't be used on any other machine.
I may try to reinstall with the original disc on another drive to see if it makes a difference, but if what you say is true, wouldn't having a new motherboard identify my machine as being different from the original? I didn't have any trouble with the install, only with the one program. (Dell Media Experience).

For caraewilton: Thank you for your comments, however I have had nothing but horrible experiences with Dell support. I have used their support forum, which can be a good source of information and help, but no one has gotten any help there for this particular problem.

But I'm still interested to learn just what determines what makes a Dell a Dell or an Acer an Acer, etc... I have copied the Dell install CD to my hard drive (to make a Ultimate Boot Disc), so I searched it for "Dell" and came up with a few files, so apparently Dell references are placed into the new OS. But where? Can they be added to an already installed system?

#8 ·
CTPhil said:
I may try to reinstall with the original disc on another drive to see if it makes a difference, but if what you say is true, wouldn't having a new motherboard identify my machine as being different from the original?
The Dell OEM Windows should be linked to motherboard. Does the Dell 4600 have a new motherboard?

I'm wondering if it will pass the 'Windows Genuine Advantage' test.

#9 ·
Yes, it has a new motherboard. I don't know what the Windows Genuine Advantage test is, but I've been online and received Windows updates with the new board.

I'm thinking that, BIOS aside, the Dell branding is embedded in the OS disc, and becomes part of the working OS. I'm going to reinstall my SP1 version on a drive I'm formatting now to test the theory.

#12 ·
For an experiment, I tried to reinstall the branded media software that came with my 4700 and got the exact same error as with the 4600. Both the 4600 and 4700 have XP reinstalled from the Dell disc. Both computers identify themselves as Dell in the BIOS. So I'm thinking that it is neither a BIOS or an OS issue. I'm going to try reinstalling all of the junk *sigh* that was originally on the computer new and see if there is anything in there that makes the difference.

#13 ·
Well, an update, and I've had success. I reinstalled XP on a spare IDE drive using the Dell SP1 disc, then installed the drivers, then DME, and it worked! I didn't have to reinstall any of the junk, thankfully. I wish I knew what conclusions to draw from this, but I'm not sure what made the difference.

One thing that caught my eye was that when I installed the Intel chipset drivers, they were already there from the OS disc. I opted to overwrite. Perhaps there were specific drivers on the drivers disc that enable the installation of DME? I'm only guessing at this point.

So a big thank you to all for caring about my problem and helping me through it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.