1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What program is using com port.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lamstaldy, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lamstaldy

lamstaldy Thread Starter

Is there any way to find out what program is using a com port. I have a VB app. that receives data from Com3. After the computer boots I try to run my app. and I get an error saying Com3 is already being used. I have to go to Device Man. and disable/enable Com3 to free it up. I'd like to know what is using Com3. I'm running VB6 and Win XP.

TIA

2. Lance1

Lance1

Is this what you are looking for?

Attached Files:

3. lamstaldy

lamstaldy Thread Starter

If it tells me what program is using the Com port. I'll check it out.
    Thanks.

4. lamstaldy

lamstaldy Thread Starter

The system info didn't tell me what was using Com3, but it did point me in the right direction. While I was in Components I clicked on Problem Devices and there was Microsoft Serial Ball Pointer it's problem was it could not start (the fact that it doesn't exist may have something to do with that). So I went into Device Man. and disabled it. I won't know if that cures the problem until I can reboot the computer, but I'll mark this solved. Lance1 thanks for the help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329218