1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What program would you use to detect a hidden StartUp-program?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HalleluYAH, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HalleluYAH

HalleluYAH Thread Starter

How do you remove a hidden "StartUp program", like the one shown below? I need to remove it from my system. WinPatrol doesn't even detect it, so I can't remove that hidden program/file with WinPatrol. Is there a program that is made to detect hidden files like this (see below):

[​IMG]

I believe the program is actually part of the pesky .NET Framework 2.0 (Service pack 1), which was installed on my computer, yesterday. I want to remove it & all of it's components if one of it's components is the exact same file I'm having trouble finding & removing from my list of StartUp programs. Is there a safe program that can detect & remove .NET Frameworks & other "hard to remove" files?

Thanks for your patience & time. I'd very much appreciate any step-by-step instructions to solve this problem.

2. shmik1

shmik1

CCleaner has a Tools section that includes a startup tab which allows you to disable/remove entries. That would be a good start unless you want to run regedit.

3. HalleluYAH

Thanks! I appreciate your help. Do you think JV16 Power Tools is a reliable application for modifying the registry-key(s) of any hidden-program on Windows XP?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Uncheck any startup entry that's blank. I've never had a problem by doing that.

Attached Files:

5. HalleluYAH

I see what you mean. Have you ever tried to completely remove a StartUp entry? That's what I would like to do, in this case. I don't want it in my system since it so easily got past my WinPatrol shield. It's very likely that it went into my system32 folder, as well (without my permission).

Maybe COMODO Anti-Virus/System Cleaner can alert windows-users when program-files implant themselves into seceral locations within the operating system without the end-users' permission.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Nope, I just uncheck them.

As you can see, I've got numerous entries unchecked, but I leave them there.

If you remove them in the registry and then want to re-enable any of them, you're up the creek without a paddle.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Not to get off the subject here, but I don't see an antivirus program installed and running - unless all the startup entries are in the Services list.

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. HalleluYAH

I see what you mean. I don't have an anti-virus program, but I will be using Comodo Anti-Virus/Firewall before I re-install any of the .NET Frameworks (which seem to implant themselves in many hidden-locations within the windows operating system, unless they are blocked or not given access to specific system folders).

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you're going to install NET Framework, install version 3.5 SP1. It'll install versions 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 along with 3.5 SP1 and doesn't require you to install those older versions first.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

9. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The blank entry like that in msconfig is a "feature" of the msconfig program.

If the Default value in the Run key is present, but empty (Null), instead of not present, it shows just like that.

To fix it, navigate to the key shown. The Default entry will show as a blank. Delete the Default entry, it will now show as (value not set)

From the screenshot, it looks like it's here:
    Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HTH

Jerry

10. HalleluYAH

I appreciate all of you. Thanks for helping me. I will follow your instructions/suggestions. :eek:

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!