1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What router should I buy??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sue C, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue C

Sue C Thread Starter

I currently have cable on my desktop. I just received my Dell laptop in the mail today and it is set up for wireless. I want to go buy a router but have no idea which one to buy. I tried calling my service provider for a suggestion and was told I should buy theirs for $29.99 and they would install it and then I'd have to pay them $10/month (like forever). They also said they would be safer because they would have secure encryption. I don't want to go through them. If I buy my own, there's no monthly fee added on, I'm pretty sure. Right? And it would be safe, right?

Anyway, I need a recommendation on what router to buy. It's for the Dell Inspiron 1420. I know I'd like something long range, if possible, so my daughter can sit outside if she wants. Thanks in advance!

Sue

2. Ziggy587

Ziggy587

I would go with the Linksys Wireless G. Its pretty standard, and works well. There's the newer Wireless N out, but I personally think its a waste of money, and I hear it doesn't work that great.

The G has good range, at least for me it does. If you want, they do sell devices like signal repeaters and boosters, but I think they're a waste.

It also has fine security settings. I used WPA password with MAC address filtering, which seemed like overkill almost. You can also shut off the broadcast of the signal, so people cant just simple stumble on it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702162

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice