1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What should I do with Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by ustacp, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ustacp

ustacp Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba Satellite P205D-S8804 laptop. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium. I need to figure out a way to install a copy of FC8 for School. That is what the Professor wants us to use. I am unsure if Vista allows a dual boot of Linux. I need to figure out a way to be able to use FC8 and still keep Vista. I do not want to reinstall Windows to make make a new partition as I have a lot of stuff on it that I do not want to have to reinstall it all again.

My question is. Would I be able to make a partition with FC8 with out reinstalling Windows? Also, would installing FC8 on an external hard drive work? I am unsure if FC8 will work on an external hard drive and if my computer supports booting from a USB device. The only thing my BIOS showed is (HDD, CD/DVD, LAN, and FDD). I am not sure what FDD stands for. I also found out with other computers that sometimes it will not list a boot option if you do not have it hooked into the computer. I do not have an external hard drive to try it out with.

I have a 200gig hard drive so I would rather use some of it to add in a new partition for FC8 rather then buying an external hard drive, but I do not want to reinstall windows in order to do it. Also, if i did end up using a partition, how much space will i need to be able to test it and run security/penatration tools on it? I am getting my BS degree in Computing Security. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    If you are careful and look at the install options details close, Fedora is safe and easy to put on a dual boot system with XP or Vista. The grub boot loader will be installed on your master boot record and add in your Vista too. Look over the partitioning that is suggested, so that it will shrink down your Windows partition, and create 2-3 Linux partitions, 1 for root (as /),and one for a swap file near the same size as your RAM, and it may want 1 more. You can just boot to a Fedora CD and go through the install process, and it does give you a chance to review and change your install options before it actually will do it.

3. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

.... and don't forget to backup all your important docs/photos etc etc to an external device beforehand ... just in case

Richard.

4. ustacp

ustacp Thread Starter

Ok I ran into a problem while trying to shrink my volume. It was only letting me shrink 32 MB's. I disabled system restore and it now is letting me only shrink 1216 MB's now. I have 100 GB's free. What do I need to do in order to free up 20 GB's in order to make my 20 Gig partition?

5. ustacp

ustacp Thread Starter

Ok I tried to use Microsoft's Virtual PC but found out that it does not work with Vista Home Premium. I just learned that FC8 has a live CD that I am going to give a try instead. I am not sure how well that is going to work since you most likely cannot download software to use on it. I could be wrong. If that does not work out for me I think I will just reformat my hard drive and partition it that way. I do need to install Vista before Linux right?

6. ustacp

ustacp Thread Starter

I bought Windows Vista Ultimate from my school for only $20 so I decided to upgrade from home premium and just run Linux in a Virtual Machine. Thanks for the help.

7. Kinnison

Kinnison

I guess it is too late to tell you this now, but what you ought to do is first defrag the windows partition completely, other wise, although the files may be taking up a small part of the disks space, they are spread all over and there is not enough consistent space free of files to make a partition there.

If you defrag, you will be able to shrink down windows almost to the point where there is no free space left to them! Of course, that isnt a good idea :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice