1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What should I get for high end gaming?

Discussion in 'Games' started by PrivatePC, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

Windows Vista
    Intel Pentium Duel CPU @ 1.80 Ghz
    2.00 GB of ram
    32 bit operating system
    Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS
    Mw3
    Bf2 bad company
    Bf3
    Starcraft 2
    Skyrim

I was thinking I needed to upgrade ram, the gpu, and the Processor. What should I get?
    I'm low on cash so nothing above $250.

2. ibo_christian09

ibo_christian09

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is this a custom built computer or a branded model? If it's an HP, Dell, etc. it probably doesn't have a power supply sufficient to support a high-end video card. You'll also be limited in processor upgrades. $250 isn't much to spend on a processor, RAM, video card, and power supply. I suggest you save that money and put it toward a completely new system designed for high-end gaming.

4. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

What computers do you recommend for these types of games?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I recommend you build your own.

6. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

By building my own do you mean having someone build it for me? Theres a computer place that I have been to a couple times they said they could whip something together for about $500.

7. Sick_Jargon

Sick_Jargon

I think they mean buying all the components separately with the intention of piecing it together yourself. Which is always good since its a tonne more cheaper and you get the exact spec you're looking for. Problem is, if you don't have the 'know-how' it can turn out to be pretty expensive.

You could ask at the store providing you trust the staff there to give you a nice deal for the amount you're spending. My first PC cost me £500 and it turned out to be quite the piece of scrap (Dell), never again lol. :p

It's your choice, whatever you choose, I'm sure these guys will help you out as best they can. :)

8. tom6049

tom6049

Everyone has their own opinion of what "high end gaming" means.
    It's not hard to spend $500.00 for a video card alone.
    So here's mine. Realistically, you would be looking at more like $1000.00 for a high end gaming rig.

Video card $275.00
    RAM $50.00
    Power supply $100.00
    Mother board $150.00
    CPU $220.00
    Motherboard $125.00
    Hard drive $80.00
    -----------------------------

Total $1000.00 before taxes

9. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

$1000 is quite a bit of money. To be honest, I don't need the best of the best. Just enough to run the game with good frame rate and a resolution of at least 1200x800. By looking at the games specifications all I really need is a new processor and video card, but I can't forget ram.. ugh help me out here.

If power supply is the BIG problem I also have another rig that was used at a gaming center which may have a more powerful supply. Bare with me.. I would much rather upgrade then buy a new system.

10. Sick_Jargon

Sick_Jargon

Mainboard: ASUS M5A87 AMD 870A (Socket AM3)(ATX DDR3)
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 (3.2GHz)
    Memory: 4GB G.Skill RipJawsX (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz
    Graphics: GeForce GTX 550Ti (GDDR5 1GB)
    Power: 650W OCZ ZS Series 80PLUS Bronze
    Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha Black (Any case that can provide airflow and be fitted with large fans)

For a budget gaming system, this is what I came up with. I'm not greatly experienced in all things computer but this would be my idea of a good budget build.

This would total at £400 for me, around 640 in good ol American dollars.

If anyone has anything to put forward about this build. Please give feedback, I'm always lookin to learn a bit more :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!