1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: what the heck is the smart card and PCMCIA card slot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by green_stuff, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. green_stuff

green_stuff Thread Starter

i have done a lot of googling and i still don't understand what are they good for but i have a feeling they r some sort of old data storing devices like the floppy disks. anyway here is the picture of the smart card reader http://www.mega.pk/items_images/4962Dell_Latitude_E6420_496a.jpg its the long horizontal slot . i read a lot of confusing topics of people talking about smart cards of phones and cameras , im interested in knowing what the laptop smart card reader is good for , or the other thing the pcmcia ,

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    its for adding additional hardware to the laptop - for example you can get a TV tuner - so you can watch TV on the laptop
    also firewire connections for use with Video cameras etc
    also bluetooth
    etc
    lookup express cards as well

3. green_stuff

i see , so it s pretty much useless right, we have tv at home and i have never sat down to watch it in so many years

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    No, its very useful for people who need additional devices on the PC
    bluetooth will allow phones to connect
    Firewire allows video to be transferred and edited
    Parallel interface for older printers
    Sata connectors
    But if you personally do not need any of those - then use useless to you

5. green_stuff

yep those are useless slots everything uses the usb port now even the external hard drive my laptop has a sata port but it will remain useless, shame though, thnx a lot for the info , it was bugging me

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes, usb is OK - but not as fast on usb2 - so i would still use express card for firewire or sata

7. prunejuice

prunejuice

I believe you're thinking of PCMCIA card slots.

"Smart Cards" are used as security/authentication features, generally on business class laptops.

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

PCMCIA or to probably be more accurate if it is 32bit CARDBUS is a way of connecting hardware directly to the 32bit BUS of your machine. PCMCIA is the older 16bit equivalent.
    Both are the same physical size.
    Express card is a newer similar idea for a PCI Express bus. All these tend to rely on the PC to supply the CPU

Smart Cards are a similar idea but with fewer contacts and a lot smaller. Many Smart Cards actually have computing resources built into them.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Also, very useful if you run out of USB ports or the USB ports break or you want to upgrade to faster USB ports. Or if say you want to add eSATA so you can run your external drive from eSATA instead of USB. While you may consider them "useless" they are in fact not and used many people.

That's for PCMCIA and ExpressCard slots.

Smart cards are used for many security applications but can be used for other purposes as well.

As always a good starting point for research is Wikipedia.

Smart cards: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_card

PC Card/PCMCIA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_Card

ExpressSlot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExpressCard

10. green_stuff

wonderful, thnx a lot guys you'fve been very helpful

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice