Solved: What to do with backup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

philip1519

A friend installed an old hard drive into my hp as a backup which was written to monthly. The hp is failing and i have put the backup drive into my Dell. The question is: What do I do with it now. I guess I want to find files that I wish to use or keep and transfer them to the c drive of the dell. Eventually I will save the accumulated data to a new machine. I have never done this before and I probably thought that the backup would distribute itself to the proper folders for use in the new hard drive. Do I need to search for and distribute every file in the eight year old computer to my eight year old Dell? Both machines run xp. Here is a screenshot of what happens when I double click on the d drive in my computer.

Attachments

philip1519

I don't really know. My friend set the whole thing up, so what you see in the screenshot is also a picture of my very first look at the backup.

what exactly are you wanting to do? just copy the files from your backup drive to your dell's main drive? i noticed that in the picture there are two folders: one that says "mailbackup" and one labeled "monthly". have you looked inside either of these files yet?

philip1519

Copy? No, use, view, listen to, enjoy. When I open "monthly" I see a .bkf of 24 gigs. But I don't know how to get into it and find the individual files that are supposedly stored there.

.bkf files are created using the Windows backup utlity. The only way you can access them is with that.

Go to Start > Run, and type:

ntbackup

OK.

That will start the restore wizard. Just follow that. Check the Advanced options on the first page, too, so you know what they are in case you need to use them.

philip1519

message comes back "windows cannot find ntbackup". I should mention that clicking on my computer>d, produces mixed results. The d drive sometimes disappears from the screen and the screen often freezes.There is also an error message called delayed write (?) that states that data from \\d:...was lost.Still when I do open the d drive it all seems to be there. Maybe because of the dell's configuration or the backup hard drive's jumper settings. I think I've got it right but wanted to let you know.Any suggestions?

What version of XP?

Is the drive with the backup named D:? That drive is most likley about to fail if you are getting errors like that.

If you don't have ntbackup, install it from the XP CD. Run the msi in X:\Valueadd\msft\ntbackup (where X: is your optical drive letter).

philip1519

Yes it is named d. I don't have a disk, could I get it on the web? Hate to say so, but I don't understand your instructions. Only the part after "the" in "Run the msi..."

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 1021 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller, 96 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 72967 MB, Free - 56216 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp., 0R8060
Antivirus: Webroot AntiVirus with Spy Sweeper, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

philip1519

well I might have a little work to do. I have noticed that the computer is not recognizing it's own cd rom. I had connected the backup hdd to the same cable as the cd. The hdd ribbon cable in the machine did not have another ide connector on it. So, I may have confused the machine as to what exactly was connected to it (if that's an apt description). I'm going to restart and make sure the boot order is correct, then try again. I downloaded the backup utility a few minutes ago. I hope I can get it to work.

philip1519

when I checked the boot order I saw that there was no cd rom device installed. The device manager doesn't see it either. Am I screwed? Have I dusted some part of this machine? Suggestions?

Check your connections and the jumper on the drive (if IDE). It seems too much of a coincidence for it to quit now. Make sure the board ends of connectors are OK, too.

Does it open and close so you know it has power?

philip1519

opens and closes, I think it spins too, but neither cd nor dvd plays. What's next?

philip1519

when booting up a black screen comes up telling me that secondary drive 0 was not detected and to strike f1 to enter setup or f2 to continue. Either way I don't know what will force the machine to see the dvd drive. Does anybody have any ideas?

Have you hit F1? Does the DVD drive appear there and look normal?

The drive may have failed. They seem to fail easily these days.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online