Solved: What's a proxy?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dingus

Hi folks,
Can I start a thread for everyones education.
I've been browsing some threads about security and keeping yourself annonimous. In these threads there is loads of reference to 'Proxy'.
Would anyone like to tell me what they are and how you go about using one? :confused:

google for "proxy server". There are a number of sites which explain it pretty well.

There are two main functions for proxy servers. One is for caching, where the server serves cached web pages, and the other is to provide anonymity on the internet.

Dingus

Thanks for posting guys. Thing is, I know what it does and why people use them, but how do I go about using one.
Where do I get one? Do I need software? Which one is best? Etc Etc Etc

Dingus said:
Hi folks,
Can I start a thread for everyones education.
I've been browsing some threads about security and keeping yourself annonimous. In these threads there is loads of reference to 'Proxy'.
Would anyone like to tell me what they are and how you go about using one? :confused:
Hi Dingus,

Try reading Wikipedia for Proxy server at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server

A classic definition is related to firewalling a company's access point to/from the Internet. The caching proxy web server is outside the firewall, and caches web pages that have been requested. When they are requested again, e.g. by another person, the web page can be served up from the proxy server instead of the original website (given no update to the webpage has occured).

Some softwares use their own ports as proxy ports to serve local requests, e.g. GhostSurf and Privoxy, instead of using a direct connection, the connections are setup on the local machine to use the proxy port of the software mentioned.

-- Tom

P.S. Will ya be having some haggis in a fortenight plus one on Robert Burns day?

Dingus

Espri was nice too.
Thanks for that info, very usefull site.
I've tried using some of the info and tried a Proxy, but some progs stop working. Messenger for one.:confused:

Dingus said:
Espri was nice too.
Thanks for that info, very usefull site.
I've tried using some of the info and tried a Proxy, but some progs stop working. Messenger for one.:confused:
Hi Dingus,

I don't use Messenger myself, but it could be that it just needs to be reconfigured to use the port used by the proxy you set up? I do not know.

-- Tom

Partial 2 Super7 S3
Have driven Elise S2 at Hethel track - Wahoo!

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Tor is awesome. You should be ablet to Proxy your messenger clients thru Tor. My buddy uses it religiously. You could also try out iPig. Whenever you use a Proxy server yo need to configure all your Internet based software to tunnel itself thru the proxy.

http://www.iopus.com/ipig/download/

Dingus

So far so good guys. It ain't as difficult as I thot it would be.
One problem tho, I've been trying a few Proxies and I'm finding they can cause problems with links on web pages.
When I'm on a page and I click on a link it fails to load, but when I switch my proxy off it works fine. Any solutions guys?

Dingus said:
So far so good guys. It ain't as difficult as I thot it would be.
One problem tho, I've been trying a few Proxies and I'm finding they can cause problems with links on web pages.
When I'm on a page and I click on a link it fails to load, but when I switch my proxy off it works fine. Any solutions guys?
Hi Dingus,

How do you switch off your proxy? For example, if I disable Privoxy by right-clicking the system tray icon, it may be enough if my Firefox Connections are set to direct connection which should be bypassing the use of Privoxy anyway. But, if your Connections in your browser are set to use a proxy's port and you just disable the proxy it is not enough - you have to make your browser Connections a direct connection for it to work.

In your case, to make the proxy work:
1) enable the proxy
2) modify the browser Connections to use the proxy port

To disable the proxy: reverse 1) and 2) above by
1) disable the proxy
2) modify the browser Connections to be a direct connection

-- Tom

-- Tom

Dingus

Thanks Tom, I'll give it a go.
Think the Elan might be even better.;)

Dingus

Guys, I recon I've got this hack. I'll close this thread. Many thanks for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online