1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What's the "Application Data" folder?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sief9, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sief9

Sief9 Thread Starter

This folder "Application Data" is taking up about 600MB total across all the users on my computer.

Its located:
    C:\Documents and Settings\*user name*\Application Data

So basically, what is it? What's it do? Is it OK to delete? Etc.

---------------------------------

Computer Specs:
    * System:

• Microsoft Windows XP
    • Professional
    • Version 2002
    • Service Pack 3
    * Computer:

• Intel(R)
    • Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    • 2.79 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I wouldn't delete anything from inside the Application Data folder unless one of the Moderators advises you that it's safe to do so.

----------------------------------------------------------------

You can safely delete everything from inside these Temp folders:

C:\Windows\Temp

C:\Documents And Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Temp

---------------------------------------------------------------

Moving the slider from 10% to 3% in the Recycle Bin and moving the slider from 12% to 3% in System Restore will also reclaim hard drive space - if this is what you're trying to do.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. Sief9

Sief9 Thread Starter

Alright thanks, I did that. :D And actually, yeah that is what I was trying to do (reclaim space). So I did both of those things you said.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The Application Data folder is where Applications store their "Data", mainly user preferences, like window positions, custom tool bars, and such.
    Some Examples:
    Firefox -- stores the user profile there, which includes all your bookmarks.
    The Quick Launch toolbar.
    Some AntiVirus/AntiSpyware programs store their logs there, some put the quarantine folder there as well.
    Outlook Express -- Address book
    MSN Messenger/Live messenger -- backgrounds, custom emoticons, winks, current user tile
    Certificates and keys -- Your public and private keys are stored here. These are used by anything that is setup to use encryption, such as email or Encrypted Folders. Delete these without having a backup of the certificates and you won't be able to recover your files from encrypted folders, or read encrypted mail.

Some programs do not delete there application data when uninstalled -- this is to allow you to uninstall/re-install a program if need be without having to re-customize the interface/toolbars, etc. If you've uninstalled a program, and don't plan on re-installing it, you can delete that program's folder. Best to first rename the folder and run the system for a few days -- that way you can rename it back if any problems occur.

Other than that, best to leave these folders alone, as well as the Application Data folder under Local Settings -- Most programs use Local Settings\Application Data for current session info, but not all. Microsoft in their wisdom decided to put Outlook's PST files, and Outlook Express's mailbox folders here instead of under the main Application Data folder.:confused:

HTH

Jerry

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :) (y)

How much hard drive space did my suggestions reclaim for you/

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. eric996

eric996

If you right-click My Computer >> Properties >> and click the Advanced Tab, there should be a button called "Settings" under User Profiles. Sometimes the system gets bloated with numerous profiles that are no longer needed. If there are usernames on there that are no longer used, you should delete them which in turn would delete them from documents and settings.

7. Sief9

Sief9 Thread Starter

Thanks a lot everyone, I got it now. :p Oh and flavallee, you got me about a GB of space. ;)

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Great! :D :) (y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice