1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: What's wrong with this desktop?...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by turbow5, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. turbow5

turbow5 Thread Starter

This thing was broken from the start when it was brought to me. The motherboard, video card, and CPU are brand new. The only thing that isn't new is the hard drive and PSU, but they both work.

Here's the problem. I had to switch out the video card. So I did, and it was working fine. then Microsoft outlook express wanted to update so I let it update and restarted the computer. However when it restarted there was no video coming up at all..NONE.

The monitor does work because when I turn it on the logo of the monitor flashes. What can this be? I've switched out the video card with several others and still no video.

I can't get into the bios at all so post nothing about it please. Also the POST code says everything is fine, as if it were at the desktop.

2. Simba7

Simba7

Is the video onboard or a PCI/AGP/PCI-e card?

3. turbow5

turbow5 Thread Starter

It's PCI-e but no more worries, I got it working. All I did was unplug the hard drive and it turned on, I have no idea how that has anything to do with video but it works now.

Thanks for replying simba7.

4. Simba7

Simba7

Could be an issue with the power supply. What's the wattage?

5. turbow5

turbow5 Thread Starter

the original was 350 but was dead and switched it with a older 250 watt. Again, it's solved. For whatever the hard drive was.

6. dai

dai

it will not be working for long running pcie with such low wattage psu's

the min i recommend for pcie is 80+ quality 550w or better

what are you running
    video card brand and model
    cpu
    m/board
    ram
    power supply
    brand
    model
    wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and cpu temperatures and post them

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!