1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: When do I recharge my laptops battery?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by xico, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xico

xico Thread Starter

On my cellphone I wait til the battery is totally discharged. Should I being doing the same with my laptop, or does it not make a difference?

2. Lance1

Lance1

3. xico

xico Thread Starter

Thanks, Lance! Good site! Loads of info here. Wow! Thanks again! :cool: (y)

4. Lance1

Lance1

You’re Welcome.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    When ever I have access to external power I will use it. This way the battery will get charged for the next time I do NOT have external power.

6. xico

xico Thread Starter

Okay, DaveA! Cool! I was wondering about that. I also read not to leaving it charging for more than 24 hours at a time.
    Thanks for the info. (y)

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Most of time, my laptop is on 7/24 on external power.
    Mine has a charging program that controls when it needs to be charged or not.
    Just make sure that it has good air flow on the bottom side.

8. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

From the link, and a problem I see most prominently:

The "Memory Effect"
    "Memory Effect" is a condition of reduced battery performance (and eventual failure) due to a battery only using those cells that are fully discharged and charged on a regular basis. In other words, if on a regular basis a NiCd or NiMH battery is only partially discharged before being recharged, it " forgets" that it has usable capacity to further discharge all the way down. The result is degraded battery performance and shorter battery life because the battery is using less than it's true full capacity. Li-ion batteries do not develop the "memory effect". NiMH batteries, while considerably better than their NiCd counterparts, are prone to developing "memory effect." However, proper care and conditioning over the life of a NiMH battery will significantly reduce the potential negative impacts. Back to Top

9. xico

xico Thread Starter

Thanks, loserOlimbs! My son made me aware of that problem with my cell phone that I wasn't allowing to discharge fully.
    Gotta let them go all the way down, or they forget that they can go all the way down. :eek:

10. xico

xico Thread Starter

I suppose I have something similar. It tells me that I'm getting dangerous close to the end. I thought I'd try to get her as low as possible--got to shortly after 9% left when she clicked off into hibernation.

I'll check out the bottom side too. Thanks! :)

11. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

No problem, I see this all the time with a 1 year old laptop. The user has no idea why their almost new laptop only gets 30 minutes on a full charge... its because they never drain it down and have essentially killed the battery.

12. xico

xico Thread Starter

Ahh, so! It's endemic! as I would imagine. Takes awhile for the word to get out. And there's no fix for the problem? Were they purposely engineered this way? :(

13. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    The information is really only apliceable to rechargeable batteries in household appliances.
    A Laptop battery, never totally discharges, as the laptop switches itself off long before it gets to that state.I understand that nothing is achieved by supposedly applying that practise.
    Like Davea, my laptop (it is an enormous and heavy 21 inch) , is used more as a staionary. It is on main power, through the battery, of course, 24/7. Currently it is four years old.

14. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

There is no fix, its a result of the technology used. There are types of batteries like those commonly in laptops that suffer from the memory effect and get less life if you don't run them down before recharging. There are also types that if you drain them down, they lose life.

And non-rechargeable batteries can explode if you try to recharge them. Just the materials that used has its own characteristics.

15. Bernardo

Bernardo

Have you tried running it off the battery lately?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/909871

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice