1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: When ethernet plugs in wireless adapter shuts off

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bahmtf, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bahmtf

bahmtf Thread Starter

I am running windows 7 on my laptop. Every time I plug an ethernet cable in my wireless adapter automatically shuts off. I want to use both wireless and wired at the same time but can not figure this out! There has got to be some setting somewhere that is auto switching the adapters when an ethernet is detected but i cant find it! Please help me! thanks a bunch in advance!

2. bennieboi20

bennieboi20

One question why do you want to run both wired and wireless connections?

3. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:It almost sounds like your dhcp server only has one ipaddress to assign.
    Generally the dhcp server is the router.
    Make and models of
    modem and router.
    Did this ever work?
    Let's see this for when the lan connection is plugged in and when it is unplugged.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you're talking about Internet access this is the standard. You can only have one active Default Gateway, and Windows default is to prefer the wired connection on the assumption that will be the higher performance connection.

What are you trying to accomplish with both connections? You can have a local network running on the wired and Internet access for the wireless if you want to do a little configuration.

We really need to know what problem you're trying to solve, then we can help you solve it.

5. bahmtf

bahmtf Thread Starter

I am trying to run a LAN through the wired and my internet through the wireless. I don't mean my wireless adapter disconnects, I mean the wireless adapter completely shuts off, and disappears from the device manager. It isnt the modem or router because it will do it every where I go. It used to work fine but I upgraded my XP to WIN 7 and thats when the problem started. There has to be some setting somewhere that is doing this.

6. bahmtf

bahmtf Thread Starter

YAY I FOUND IT! There is a setting in my BIOS called LAN/WAN switching and it was enabled. All I had to do was disable it and away we went. woo hoo! Thanks for the time you spent on my problem! Aparently this setting is in all HP compaq models

7. JohnWill

Hmm... I have an HP DV9207US running Vista, I've never seen this happen, and I can't find that BIOS setting. Must be something for select models. :)

8. bahmtf

bahmtf Thread Starter

isnt that a pavilion and not a compaq? i read its only on the compaq series...

9. JohnWill

That may be it, I've personally never heard of that option, but you're right, this is not a Compaq.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/936486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice