1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: When i have wifi and 3g usb modem connected i cannot access internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bpafc, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bpafc

bpafc Thread Starter

I use a wireless network in the home for media centre purposes (PS3, 2 pcs) and i use a 3g usb modem on the pc that i require internet on whenever that maybe. Problem i have is that when the WLAN is up and i connect to the 3g modem i cant see anything on the internet. Is it something to do with the default gateway? or is it something with my browser? gonna check right now if i can ping and work out if its possibly DNS related will post back in a sec. Ta.

EDIT: It appears to be DNS related as i can ping 4.2.2.2 but if i ping google.com or .co.uk its not getting a response. Where should i be looking to resolve this?

EDIT:[​IMG]
    This is a grab of the ping while both wifi and usb are connected and then the succesful ping is the wifi disabled. What on earth is going on here obviously the ip address is completly different on the succesful ping could this be something to do with a proxy??

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your first suspicion (Default Gateway) is almost certainly the reason. When Windows has a choice of Default Gateways it chooses the wired over the wireless. But if they are the same type--both yours are wireless--I don't know if the selection is random or if there is an algorithm.

Anyhow, the solution is your situation is to assign a static IP to the Wi-Fi connection, leaving the Default Gateway and DNS null (blank). The IP you choose has to be in the router's IP range but outside its Dhcp server's address range.

3. bpafc

bpafc Thread Starter

Thanks TerryNet seems to be the trick that one, i haven't managed to confirm my network shares are ok as im in the middle of a check disk grrr! :) but i can access the local router and am now able to surf the web with the dongle at the same time, many many thanks.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice