1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: When I turn on my computer it doesn't even begin to load (BIOS?)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by EternallyPierced, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EternallyPierced

EternallyPierced Thread Starter

When I turn on my computer it doesn't even begin to load. This is immediately on the screen:
    R423SE P/N 113-A32102-104 BR#9174 Rel9.4.1.26
    When I googled it this came up: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...
    I tried taking the bios battery out but that didn't do anything. I also checked out the old card out for damage or dust and reinserted just to make sure it was snug but nothing happened. This isn't the actually the main problem I was having at first but I can't fix the main problem without getting past this.

This is how it all started:

Well originally it wouldn't load past the Windows XP Logo Screen. It would freeze up and was I forced to hold the power button down until it shut off. I tried safe mode, last known working configuration, even VGA mode and it still hung every time. Well I did some research and the symptoms seemed to point to either bad memory, a bad video card or a dying PSU. Well I tried switching out the memory and that didn't do anything. The PSU is actually in it's own case under the motherboad and all the drives, so I figured it would be easier to check the graphics card first. So I took out the ATI Radeon X800 and tried putting in an ATI Radeon X1150 (I think). Well after did that it wouldn't even get past the Dell startup screen so I took it out and put the other back in. That's when I started getting this funky message. At one point it said there had been previous failed attempts to boot and there was a problem with/at (lthr) or something like that, then wouldn't go any farther. Now it's just stuck showing that video card information. Thanks in advance for your time help!

Sincerely,
    Matt

2. EternallyPierced

Somebody please help me! I really am in desperate need of it. Thank you!

3. EternallyPierced

Now, after removing the card and the cmos battery unplugging it and replugging it the Dell screen appears but it freezes there. Any ideas?

4. mt2002

mt2002

Do you have onboard video? If so, take the card out and reset the BIOS. Reboot (but keep the card out) and see if it works using onboard video.

If you are unable to get it working still, I recommend swapping memory.

5. EternallyPierced

The memory was the problem, as soon as took one of the sticks out everything "started" to load. Now that I'm over that hurdle, I'm back to where I started. It keeps hanging after the XP logo disappears right beore the log in screen, it does the same thing in safe mode. It was originally giving me the blue screen of death but after running scandisk it fixed a bunch of these files. Now it hangs after the logo. I've plugged the hard drive into another computer and it does the same thing. Thanks for the help!

6. mt2002

mt2002

Because you had to manually turn the power off without waiting for Windows, you may have minor filesystem corruption. If that is the case, you can try running chkdsk /r from the recovery console which can be accessed from the Windows CD.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/763588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice