1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: when minimizing open windows, tabs disappear instead of appearing on bottom taskbar

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by grumpyoldman, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grumpyoldman

grumpyoldman Thread Starter

Had diffs yesterday with computer running at snail speed > did ad-aware/norton scans to clean up > now when I minimize any open window, the tab/s just disappear/s to the left of the lower taskbar so they can't be opened easily again. Must be an easy fix for this but after hours of research in MS Help + Google + your existing threads, haven't been able to source a solution.

It happened once before but I can't recall how I got it going properly again - that's what age does to the memory!! Now when I have a PC prob & manage to solve it, I note the solution for the future!!

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions to solve this irritating prob.

Thanks in advance.

2. spackler

spackler

Going for the obvious here but have you tried restarting?

3. Augie65

Augie65

4. grumpyoldman

Thanx for the swift response - yes, I have a vague recollection that that's what may have fixed it the last time but to no avail on this occasion!!

Appreciate the thought though.

5. grumpyoldman

Used suggested link & clicked on Miinimized Programs Missing >> when d'loaded, Norton instantly warned of Malicious Script Detected - High Risk - advised to go no further. Obviously I heeded this advice.

File in question was xp_taskbar_desktop_fixall.vbs script file.

This could have led me into even more seriously harmful territory if not for Norton's warning.

6. spackler

spackler

If you are on XP tyry switching from and back to classic mode to see if it clears up. You can also try and login under another profile to see if the problem happens under a different profile.

7. Augie65

Augie65

Kelly's-korner is very safe and uses regedits and vbs scripts to repair problems in Windows XP. I and many other users have used these fixes for some time. Kelly is a Microsoft MVP, but you do whatever you feel is best for you.

8. grumpyoldman

Many thanx Augie65 - did as you suggested >> success!! Sorry about my doubting of your earlier link - didn't realise that d'loaded tweaks would show up as malicious scripts but were actually "safe" when from recommended source. Please accept my apologies for seeming to reject your valuable assistance - a case of ignorance versus knowledge!! Trust no hard feelings!!
    Very grateful for your help.

9. grumpyoldman

Thanx for suggestions, Spackler. tried both but to no avail unfortunately. As you may see, Augie65's ideas worked so may be useful to you also at some point. Appreciate your help.

10. grumpyoldman

BTW - sorry for delay in responding - have been away for a few days since prob arose.

11. Augie65

Augie65

Apologies are not needed.:) Glad to be of help.
    It's always best to be cautious these days with all kinds of dangerous things circulating around. The members of this forum are very helpful and if anything malicious was posted you would have been warned. If you get a chance, you can mark this problem solved from the thread tools> Mark Thread Solved at top of your post.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/479225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice