1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: where are instructions carried out on startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by matelot2, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matelot2

matelot2 Thread Starter

Years ago if windows started something I didn't want starting as it powered up I could go to WIN.INI, find the line and remove it.
    I recently removed some Mcafee programs and now , when everything has loaded, I get the oblong blue box across the screen :-

UNABLE TO WRITE TO C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\APPLICATION DATA\MCAFEE\ SPAMKILLER\MSKDETCT.DAT

I would just find the line trying to write to this address in the WIN.INI file and remove it.
    I can't find it on windows XP .
    Could someone explain how I could get this removed now please?
    Thanks,
    Bob.

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

3. matelot2

matelot2 Thread Starter

etaf thank you.
    If there is a website offering hero badges please feel free to download one on me!!!

I took your advice, downloaded the removal tool and ran it, it got up to about 80% and then hung.

I left it until now and then switched the computer off and on, the box has not shown up.
    Thank you sir, I am grateful for your help.
    Bob.

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

glad to have helped (y)
    not sure why it hung

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060686