1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: where are the certificate of trust details?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by matelot2, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matelot2

matelot2 Thread Starter

I understand if I add
    Code:
     Private Sub workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean) Sheets("cable 1c").Range("G1").Value = Date
     Sheets("cable 1d").Range("G1").Value = Date
     Sheets("cable master").Range("D54").Value = Date
     Sheets("box master").Range("D54").Value = Date
     Sheets("cable 5").Range("B1").Value = Date
     End Sub

it will change the date as above.
    My problem is that when I start excel up now I get a box that tells me
    Macro's are disabled because the security level is set to high and a digitally signed trusted certificate is not attached to the macro.......request the macros be signed by the author using a certificate issued by a certificate authority.
    Is says I may encounter this error for the following reasons
    ....one being
    macro security is set to high .... which it is. ... and ...
    the application encounters a signed macro, but you selected Disable when prompted by the macro warning dialog when opening the file. Use the following procedure to enable the macro:
    Close the file and any other instances of the application currently running on the computer (close all applications that also use the application you are currently running).
    Open the file again and examine the certificate of trust details and set the Always trust macros from this publisher box if you trust the certificate issued by the publisher.
    Click the Enable button to allow the macro to run.

Where are the certificate of trust details? They are not on tools/macros/security.

2. joe957

joe957

3. draceplace

draceplace

Go to the trust center and enable all macros to get rid of this noise. ->file -> Options -> Trust Center -> Trust Center Settings -> Macro Settings

You may need to set Trusted Locations as well. Allow Trusted Locations on my network is a key.

4. matelot2

matelot2 Thread Starter

Thanks Joe, I have looked through the link you gave me and can't find a reference to 'digitally signed trusted certificates'
    Thanks draceplace, I don't know if it has changed places on the later excels but in 2003 there is no options under >file. there is one under tools> and when clicked it gives me a box with 13 tabs, one of which is 'security' on the security page I can see a box marked 'digital signatures' this tells me there are no digital signatures and suggests I check help for more info.
    Help tells me, amongst other things, that I can " create a digital signature yourself using the Selfcert.exe tool."
    but it doesn't say how nor can I find the file selfcert.exe on my computer.
    I also found somewhere to allow the micro I have introduced by lowering my security, the macro now works but I would have preferred to sign it and left the security high.
    Further down the help it says how to sign a macro project but step 5 says 'if you haven't previously selected a digital signature.......' which I haven't cos I don't have one. catch 22.
    I will trawl the internet about how to use selfcert but there looks to be lots of information about it.

5. matelot2

matelot2 Thread Starter

I have discovered how to make a signature. Simply add the file selfcert.exe from the disk, (its not loaded into the computer when first loading the program) and it runs, letting me name a certificate.
    Now my only problem is the macro I have made runs but updates every page it points to every time I save. What I wanted was one that only updates the pages I had altered say by just changing the date of the page I was presently on.
    I will start a new thread for this but thanks for your input guys.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!