1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Where did the blue blob come from?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by clearcomms82, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clearcomms82

clearcomms82 Thread Starter

I have a weird problem with a site which I've been running for most of the year. The problem arrived recently.

The site is at http://www.les-amis-des-chats.com.

If you go to it in IE7/8, look at the left hand side; under the navigation bar is an orange blob. (This posting has been updated to add new information!)

It doesn't show up in Firefox, Google Chrome or Opera, but you do also get it in the Windows version of Safari.

It is also worth pointing out that when I preview the page on my PC (running XP Pro) using IE7 or Safari, the blob isn't there!

I now know the blob is related to the navigation bar, in that first, when you hover the mouse over it it shows links to pages on the site, but upside down relative to the links in the navigation bar, and secondly, with the new design of navigation bar, the blob has turned orange. This is the colour of the submenu links in the new design.

I tried rebuilding the bar, and the "new" bar is only on the index page, but this made no difference. The blob appears on all the pages using the old and the new bar. Needless to say the problem didn't appear when I first inserted the "old" bar - it has appeared since then.

Go to the French-language half of the site, where there is a similar navigation bar built with the same software, and there is no sign of the problem.

Any suggestions as to possible causes and cures will be gratefully received. Meanwhile I think I'll try buiding a completely new navigation bar in a new design, and see if that fixes it. And the answer is, it doesn't!

And a Happy New Year to you all.

2. olddirtret

olddirtret

I see the orange blob in the menu section of your web site which only shows up in IE. It appears to be in your navigation menu.

I checked the HTML validation using the below listed link and found some errors. Try using this link to help you see the errors.
    http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_uri

Also, the Web Developer and the Firebug addons for Firefox are very helpful

3. clearcomms82

clearcomms82 Thread Starter

Well, I finally fixed it.

A LOT of tests established that the blob only appeared on pages held in the site's root directory on the server - if they were anywhere else, no blob.

So I deleted the entire site, and uploaded the copy on my PC to a new root directory. Result? No blob.

So it remains a mystery, although it was obviously something to do the the site's root directory on my server.

Like I said at the start, weird!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice